help me with ozone!

pwnag3!!

ok... im thinking about doing ozone.
what do i need to know?
i was looking at the aquazone series fromred sea but could not decide if i wanted to go with the delux with an ORP probe or just the regular one.
can some one explain whihc would be more beneficial for my reef?
and how does ozone work? where do i inject it?

nas19320

I know very little about running ozone but I thought you needed an ORP meter to run it. Doesn't seem like many people currently run ozone but it looks like it is becoming more popular. I believe TonyDetroit runs ozone.

flatzboy

I don't know alot about it but I know enough. First ozone is mostly injected into skimmers but some people inject it into reactors. Second ozone is I think some kind of gas and it brakes down organic matter then the broken down organics gets collected by your skimmer therefore increasing the performance of your skimmer. From what I understand ozone can be overdosed but there is a very little chance of that happening with the ozone generators made for our hobby and not commercial use. Most reccomend a orp controller that connect with the ozone generator because you can have a set orp and the controller will shut it off if it goes over what you have it set for and turns on when it gets to low. I pleve the aquazone plus/deluxe has a built in orp contoller. Ozone will make the water very clear therefore allowing more light penetration into your tank making your coral happier. now hopefully tonydetroit will elaborate on anything I missed and correct me if anything I said was wrong.
HTH,
Rhett

tony detroit

Looks like you guys got it covered.
Ozone is injected into the skimmer. It can be run into a reactor, but if you have a high flow skimmer, just let the venturi suck it in. Some people run the output water of the skimmer through carbon(recommended, but I don't do it).
Air Dryer-need to be recharged regurlarly, removes humidity from air making the ozonizer more efficient. The sanders and ultralife units do not require an air dryer, only the corona discharge units like the Red Sea. If you run humid air through a 100mg/hr unit you might get 70mg/hr if you're lucky.
Controller-nice, but not a necessity. I run one, regularly monthly cleaning of the probe is a good idea.
I'd say get it if you can, but you don't absolutely have to have it.
Corona discharge units are what I recommend, I use a Red Sea unit. There is zero maintenance other than the air dryer beads which you can cook in an oven at 230 Fahrenheit for around half an hour to recharge. You should get multiple years of use out of your unit. Any questions just post em up.

pwnag3!!

ok...
how much ozone should i inject? is the 10mg/25g correct practice?
I have a rejevunating venturi skimmer not a regular venturi.. where would i inject the ozone into?

njocean

Originally Posted by tony detroit
Looks like you guys got it covered.
Ozone is injected into the skimmer. It can be run into a reactor, but if you have a high flow skimmer, just let the venturi suck it in. Some people run the output water of the skimmer through carbon(recommended, but I don't do it).
Air Dryer-need to be recharged regurlarly, removes humidity from air making the ozonizer more efficient. The sanders and ultralife units do not require an air dryer, only the corona discharge units like the Red Sea. If you run humid air through a 100mg/hr unit you might get 70mg/hr if you're lucky.
Controller-nice, but not a necessity. I run one, regularly monthly cleaning of the probe is a good idea.
I'd say get it if you can, but you don't absolutely have to have it.
Corona discharge units are what I recommend, I use a Red Sea unit. There is zero maintenance other than the air dryer beads which you can cook in an oven at 230 Fahrenheit for around half an hour to recharge. You should get multiple years of use out of your unit. Any questions just post em up.

I'm getting a Corona discharge unit. I have a built in skimmer (in filter) Is this easy to set up? Should I use carbon?