Help moving a tank

scsdlh34

I tried searching this topic, but each time it couldn't find anything. I am moving a 110. I got some prev. suggestions on another post about having an lfs hold the fish until the tank was set back up. They agreed to hold them last week and now they are saying they won't. How long after all the sand, rock and water go back in do you think the fish can go back in? Does the tank really recycle for another week or two?
If so, I'm just gonna start my 55 up now with minimal rock and a HOB filter.
Please let me know of any suggestions so nothing dies!!!!

A

alexmir

I moved my tank with no deaths and no cycle.
I first remover around 2/3 of the water, this way i got a good amount of clear water to put into the tank while it was moved. I put this into coolers. If there are coral, i would move the ones at the top of the tank first, wait an hour, and then take out the water. I then took out all the rock, put it into a cooler, and drained some more water into the cooler with the rocks. ( this water was too murky to use when i got the tank resettled.)
I then took out all the fish and inverts and added them to the buckets of the clean water i took out first. I used new sand when i moved. I had heard from people that when you use the same sand when moving a tank it will create a cycle. So i didnt want to chance it and i had been wanting to change sand anyway. So i guess do what you want at this step. If you do keep the sand make sure that you keep it very moist so there is no die off.
I then moved everything into the new house, first sand, then rock, then slowly added the clean water, then the fish and inverts.
Make sure you have alot of freshly mixed water, your really going to need it. Then just top off the tank. I also bought some bottles nitrifying bacteria just to help with the stress of moving.
Hope this helps, it worked perfect for me!

scsdlh34

A few days prior to picking up the tank I am going to prepare 45 gallons of new water.
I did find a post suggesting to keep the sand in the tank with just enough water to keep it wet during the move and this would also prevent another cycle. Is this true?

A

alexmir

Yes, make sure that you keep the sand wet, if it dries out and the bacteria die, you will have a cycle. I would try and take that water left in the sand out with a towel and wrags when you are adding the old water back into the tank, it would help keep the murkiness down. But only do this immediately before you add more water, do not wait for a while let it dry.

t316

Originally Posted by scsdlh34
http:///forum/post/2568269
A few days prior to picking up the tank I am going to prepare 45 gallons of new water.
I did find a post suggesting to keep the sand in the tank with just enough water to keep it wet during the move and this would also prevent another cycle. Is this true?
I moved a tank about 1/2 hour away, which had lr, cc, corals, & inverts, but no fish. I did just what you mentioned...I put the lr and corals in a cooler with a little tank water on it, making sure the corals were under water. I drained and threw out all of the remaining water except for about 2" above the cc. With the cc and inverts still in the tank, I moved it, set it back up, put new salt water in the tank, put the lr and corals back in, and nothing died. If it did have a mini cycle, then the inverts, corals, and lr never showed signs of distress.

devil dog

If you use the same Live rock and live sand your tank will not cycle. Well if you have enough rock and sand...