HELP!! My fish are dying!!

ldyer

I just got an order and almost everything is dead or hiding really well. This is what I just purchased and put in my tank on 12/27.
Blue Hippo Tang
Fighting Conch
Lettuce Nudibranch
Porcelain Crab
3 Green Chromis (one arrived dead)
3 Feather dusters
2 Clown Goby
Neon Goby
Scooter Blenny
Tiger Cowrie
Only thing I can really find it the feather dusters!!
I currently have had my tank for three years and just had a Nemo Clown Fish and I think it is a four wheel driver.... some coral not much. My brother in law took care of my tank for the most part but I want to get more involved. I tested everything this morning and here is my readings.
Nitrate ~ 20 ph ~ 7.8 Nitrite ~ 0
Ammonia ~ 0 Phosphate ~ 0 Hardness ~ 179
Calcium ~ 380 Temp ~ about 78-80

yannifish

That is a lot of things to put in at once, though your test results sound good. What kind of tests do you use? I know aquarium phrm. is a good company. Did you get the fish from SWF (if you didn't, don't post the name of the retailer you got them from, or the mods will get mad at you)? If so, SWF has a 15 day refund. What size is your tank and how old is it? Just trying to help.

t316

So what fish are dying, or dead? Other than the one chromis that arrived dead, has anything actually died?

ldyer

I used the API reef and saltwater master test kit. Yes I got the fish from SWF but I don't have anything to send back since they are missing. I did just find one spine on the bottom of the tank but my star fish was "playing" with it.
I don't know what fish are dying but if they are not dead then they are all missing or playing hide and seek and I can't find them! I have live rock and my tank is 150 gallons but I can see pretty much most of the tank the way we have the rock set up. This tank is about three years old and my brother in law set it up for me and took care of it. Trying to get back into the hobby and do it myself.....

ophiura

How old are your test kits?
What filtration and circulation do you have on the tank?
How frequently do you do water changes, etc?
How much Live Rock do you have?
Just want to try and eliminate any other obvious issues.

ldyer

Originally Posted by ophiura
How old are your test kits?
What filtration and circulation do you have on the tank?
How frequently do you do water changes, etc?
How much Live Rock do you have?
Just want to try and eliminate any other obvious issues.
Just got the test kits yesterday.
Okay here is where I will sound really stupid...my brother in law set EVERYTHING up for me. I have a fresh water tub where I put my RO water into and that drips to a tank under my stand that is about 75 lbs of water. He filters the water out the back and into bottom where the water is filtered with a filter that bubbles and he said that gets the waste out of the tank. The water then cycles into a holding tank that has a live sponge type plant that he said helps with the green algea that I had last year. I do a water change at least once a month but try to do every other week and at least 10 to 15 gallon changes every time.
I have no idea how much live rock I have but it lines the whole back side of my tank and is stacked. My brother in law wanted lots of hiding places for the fish.

mcbdz

Unless you actually see them dead they may just be hiding. Give them a day or so. Have you tried to feed them? Sometimes that will bring them out. Also keep a close eye on your water para. With that big of a bioload you want to catch any issues early. Have water mixing for possible change.

ldyer

Unless you actually see them dead they may just be hiding. Give them a day or so. Have you tried to feed them? Sometimes that will bring them out. Also keep a close eye on your water para. With that big of a bioload you want to catch any issues early. Have water mixing for possible change.

I'll watch and test everything again tomorrow. I did try feeding them and that didn't help. I'll just wait and try to be patient. Thanks!!!

vanos

Originally Posted by yannifish
That is a lot of things to put in at once, though your test results sound good. What kind of tests do you use? I know aquarium phrm. is a good company. Did you get the fish from SWF (if you didn't, don't post the name of the retailer you got them from, or the mods will get mad at you)? If so, SWF has a 15 day refund. What size is your tank and how old is it? Just trying to help.

It's a joke-swf only will give you credit if you have a dead upon arrival invert or fish.

mx#28

Originally Posted by ldyer
I tested everything this morning and here is my readings.
Nitrate ~ 20 ph ~ 7.8 Nitrite ~ 0
Ammonia ~ 0 Phosphate ~ 0 Hardness ~ 179
Calcium ~ 380 Temp ~ about 78-80

Please also post what your salinity currently is.

t316

Originally Posted by Vanos
It's a joke-swf only will give you credit if you have a dead upon arrival invert or fish.
Are you serious? Is this the policy? I thought it was 15 days or something.

ophiura

It is.
If for any reason any live fish, coral, or invertebrate you've received doesn't survive during the 15 Day Guarantee period just return it with your email receipt and we'll issue a credit (dollar amount) for that item towards your Saltwaterfish.com Online Account
Admin has even posted in threads where fish have died after arrival and acclimation.

t316

Originally Posted by ophiura
It is.
Admin has even posted in threads where fish have died after arrival and acclimation.
Thankyou O, this sounds more like it. From everything I have heard, they stand behind their product.

wattsupdoc

SWF has a great policy, it's no joke. But you will need to at least verify they have died. I dont know if MIA constitutes that or not. They will give you a credit for whatever doesnt make it. I have never had any problems with them standing behind it. Havent had many losses though. One thing you should do, is get a quaranteen tank. They are priceless. For just such a thing. If they were in QT you would be able to find them easily. Plus you now risk having infected you tank with ick amoung other things. Look very closely with a flashlight in all the crevies.