Help... My goniopora is diein'!!

cgj

I bought a flower-pot coral like a month and a half ago, and he was doing fine for a while... but as of the last week he hasnt opened at all and I cant figure out why! Amonia, trates, trites and such are all 0, calcium is kept at around 400 ppm... im not adding anything to the water, i do regular changes etc... he just seems to be in decline. All my other corals are fine.

promisetbg

How old is the tank,what size tank, what is the lighting,how old are the bulbs, how much flow is on it? Is this a green goniopora? Are you feeding it? Anything bothering it, shrimp, clowns?
What is your PH,PO4, Alk, & SG.? Changes in SG.? Do you top off daily? Skimmer working?

theappe3

Well from what I understand Goniopora are hard to keep and I believe if im not mistaken they require nutrient rich water??

promisetbg

I keep them just fine. I have a theory. Most people get goniopora when they are new to the hobby, don't have enough experience with their care, and a tank that is not yet suitable{it needs to mature~ alot} Then everyone freaks out.."oh no..it's going to die!" It does die, but not because it is impossible to keep, but because of the aforementioned circumstances. Then that same hobbiest never tries them again, and warns others not to. So everyone thinks they are impossible, when in fact given the right conditions...they are awesome. The green ~ Stokesi are the most available, and consequently the hardest to keep. I have two different color alveoporas, a purple and a red goniopora, all are thriving. Check out goniopora dot org for more info.
Another thing that will cause them to die is improper handling & a damaged specimen to begin with. Care must be taken not to touch the flesh,hold by the base. They should be placed on a flat rock or similar, so the substrate doesn't touch them. They need meaty food such as DT's oyster eggs, frozen cyclop-eeze, mysis, lobster roe, golden pearls, etc. Rod's food is great, it has lots of good ingredients and breaks up small.

cgj

Sorry i wasnt more specific. This is a purple gonipora, tank has been around for about one year now. Ph is around 8.2
Whats Po4?

yosemite sam

PO4 is phosphate. Answering the rest of his questions will help a lot.
Hey promisetbg, are your specimens encrusting types? I know several people here who have had good luck with red and/or purple encrusting types, but no luck at all with round types, especially the green ones.

cgj

Right. SG is held at 1.024, and the skimmer is always functioning. I just checked and it seems some of the ones on the sides are peeking out a little... perhaps light is too strong for the ones directly exposed to my MHs?

bullitr

i had mine for year and a half but thats the longest i 've seen them live. in a lfs they call it a rent a coral .but i've heard it have its own website how the take care of it.if you want to check it out

promisetbg

Mine are round. Purple ones are the most sensitive to changes. After my move, mine closed literally for months, & lost all it's color. Once conditions were to it's liking, it opened, regained it's color, and continues to thrive. The differences were all new water, increased flow, and new bulbs. I have had three of the four for several years. Can you answer the rest of the questions?

hefner413

I bought mine without any research (jumping the gun = bad idea) Well, after a couple months of it being the most impressive piece in the tank, it decided to start closing. One day it didn't open as much, and then less and less until it didn't open up at all. It did this a couple days, then opened up one last time... then seemed just die. It stayed closed for almost 2 months! the polyps would seem to start to come out a little bit some days, but very little.... I thought it was a goner for sure - but it still retained it's green color and seemed to be somewhat "alive". It wasn't turning into a dead rock or anything. .... and then one day - it just started to open again!
and for the past month or so it is back to it's original beautiful state! Not sure what all happened, but it looks awesome now....

halamaya

I em reading a book on corals now and he suggests keeping your calcium at 450ppm. I know it's not much but...

cgj

Originally Posted by Halamaya
I em reading a book on corals now and he suggests keeping your calcium at 450ppm. I know it's not much but...

450 ppm is a rather high level of calcium and is generally recommended for stony corals and also coralline growth.

candycane

This is one of the only corals where it's agressiveness outweighs it's ability to take a knock. If you have a clownfish that may be trying to host it, this could injure the thing. If there are other corals near it (leathers, zoos, etc.) that release toxins, that could cause it to develope issues. If you purchased it with even a TINY chunk of it missing or damaged, that will usually cause the whole coral to parish for some odd reason. Long story short, if even a section gets damaged, it takes the rest of the coral with it 90% of the time. People that have had success with them, it is most likely because it never gets damaged - not even a single polyp.