HELP!!!! My new tank

jeffboucherii

Hello,
I am currently taking a marine class and I need to build a filtration system that can keep my tank alive. It is part of my grade. We have to keep a marine tank and keep the fish alive. does anyone have ideas on a filtration system? I am completely lost on how to create my own.
Thank you for the help.

mproctor4

How much are you budgeting for your filter? Is your tank drilled? I made a very simple, effective filter with an overflow box, large rubbermaid container, rubbermaid drawers (stacking), and a return pump.
You can also get some ideas on youtube.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffboucherii http:///forum/thread/383967/help-my-new-tank#post_3362118
um... we have to make the filter ourselves, so whatever we want we need to buy. i want it to be as cheep as possible.
Welcome to the site!
Here is my idea..
Live rock and sand in the tank..in abundance for natural filtration..you will need power heads to circulate the water, simulating the ocean waves in your tank.
Then for nice clean water, a 3 chamber sump, a used tank is all you need and cut glass to make the baffles. Filter fiber and carbon for the water to run through before the return chamber will keep the fish happy and healthy and the water crystal clear.
Instead of a skimmer (which wouldn't be needed until much later) go for a turf scrubber and set it up in the sump. This site is loaded with DIY turf scrubber guys and sump experts to help you set it up.

B

brandonsivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffboucherii http:///forum/thread/383967/help-my-new-tank#post_3361676
Hello,
I am currently taking a marine class and I need to build a filtration system that can keep my tank alive. It is part of my grade. We have to keep a marine tank and keep the fish alive. does anyone have ideas on a filtration system? I am completely lost on how to create my own.
Thank you for the help.
Man, that sure is a lot to ask of a college student. Anyway you cut it, I cant see this being cheap.

mproctor4

If you are planning on running this tank long term, I think a turf scrubber is a great idea. I recently put one in one side of my sump. For a school project however, it may get more expensive than you had hoped. To get enough flow to the turf scrubber you will probably need 2 pumps-one for the scrubber and one to return the water back to the tank.
I have been happy with my diy filter and it was fairly inexpensive. I took a large rubber maid container and placed under the stand, used an overflow box to get the water from the tank to the filter. I bought a 4 drawer rubbermaid/sterilite (can't remember which) container. It has 2 small drawers on the top and 2 larger drawers underneath. I took the bottom drawer out, took the wheels off, and placed in the large rubbermaid container. I drilled LOTS of holes in all the other drawers--aprrox. 3/4" apart. On the side of the top drawer I made holes to put the tube from the overflow box (this is where the water comes into the filter if I wasn't clear). The second drawer contains various layers of filter material...ie. chemi-purr/carbon/couple of premade filter pads and then topped with floss. The third drawer started with bioballs, which I have been slowly trying to convert to live rock rubble. Keep the water level just below the bottom of the third drawer to reduce the noise. Put the return pump anywhere in the rubbermaid container. If you don't want to spend the money on an overflow box, you could siphon water out of your tank through a pvc pipe, but if you are keeping the tank up I would highly recommend an overflow box to avoid floods. You can also get the pumps on an auction web site for much cheaper than LFS.
Besides being inexpensive, there are a couple of other things I like about this: it is easy to clean, just pull the drawer out and change the floss or whatever you are using and easy to get to the bioballs to occassionally rinse them. You can hide your heater in there. I had a large area to put a clamp on light and grown cheato. Large area to "banish" naughty creatures, like crabs, etc that you later decide you don't want in your tank. Also plenty of room for a small scrubber if you want to add one. There are some disadvantages: more noise than some filters and it takes up more space.
It actually sounds like a fun project, just would irritate me to spend that much on a filter unless I was planning on using it long term.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/383967/help-my-new-tank#post_3362325
If you are planning on running this tank long term, I think a turf scrubber is a great idea. I recently put one in one side of my sump. For a school project however, it may get more expensive than you had hoped. To get enough flow to the turf scrubber you will probably need 2 pumps-one for the scrubber and one to return the water back to the tank.
I have been happy with my diy filter and it was fairly inexpensive. I took a large rubber maid container and placed under the stand, used an overflow box to get the water from the tank to the filter. I bought a 4 drawer rubbermaid/sterilite (can't remember which) container. It has 2 small drawers on the top and 2 larger drawers underneath. I took the bottom drawer out, took the wheels off, and placed in the large rubbermaid container. I drilled LOTS of holes in all the other drawers--aprrox. 3/4" apart. On the side of the top drawer I made holes to put the tube from the overflow box (this is where the water comes into the filter if I wasn't clear). The second drawer contains various layers of filter material...ie. chemi-purr/carbon/couple of premade filter pads and then topped with floss. The third drawer started with bioballs, which I have been slowly trying to convert to live rock rubble. Keep the water level just below the bottom of the third drawer to reduce the noise. Put the return pump anywhere in the rubbermaid container. If you don't want to spend the money on an overflow box, you could siphon water out of your tank through a pvc pipe, but if you are keeping the tank up I would highly recommend an overflow box to avoid floods. You can also get the pumps on an auction web site for much cheaper than LFS.
Besides being inexpensive, there are a couple of other things I like about this: it is easy to clean, just pull the drawer out and change the floss or whatever you are using and easy to get to the bioballs to occassionally rinse them. You can hide your heater in there. I had a large area to put a clamp on light and grown cheato. Large area to "banish" naughty creatures, like crabs, etc that you later decide you don't want in your tank. Also plenty of room for a small scrubber if you want to add one. There are some disadvantages: more noise than some filters and it takes up more space.
It actually sounds like a fun project, just would irritate me to spend that much on a filter unless I was planning on using it long term.
I don't suppose you have any pictures..it sounds pretty cool and I would love to see it.
A turf scubber is way cheaper than a skimmer, and to be honest works better. My skimmer does nothing for removing phosphats or nitrates. A turf scrubber would take care of it all.

mproctor4

Too tired to take pictures tonight--I will try in the am but honestly it is a tight space and you may not be able to see much. My turf scrubber is 6 weeks old today, not much difference in nitrates yet but definately a change in the algea growth in the tank. SantaMontica gave me some tips on my light bulbs that I am going to try tomorrow when I clean my screen. If you are interested in the turf scrubber SantaMontica has a thread here and another popular reef forum that gives some great info. It would be worth your time to read the threads.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/383967/help-my-new-tank#post_3362441
Too tired to take pictures tonight--I will try in the am but honestly it is a tight space and you may not be able to see much. My turf scrubber is 6 weeks old today, not much difference in nitrates yet but definately a change in the algea growth in the tank. SantaMontica gave me some tips on my light bulbs that I am going to try tomorrow when I clean my screen. If you are interested in the turf scrubber SantaMontica has a thread here and another popular reef forum that gives some great info. It would be worth your time to read the threads.
For me??...no. First I'm not handy at all and second, no way do I want to clean something every week, I'm getting older and I need the tank as automated as I can get it. ATOs, pumps for water changes and light timers are my best friends.
I just set up a 30g tank and did my own sump for the frst time, I was interested in the one you created with a tub and drawers. For the OP, your's could be a good filter system to look into.

E

eric b 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/383967/help-my-new-tank#post_3362446
I'm getting older and I need the tank as automated as I can get it. ATOs, pumps for water changes and light timers are my best friends.
heck, i'm 27 and these things are already my best friends. automation means less time working on, and more time enjoying, our tanks.

mkroher

The Op says he needs to build a filtration system, not reduce nitrates. Water changes can reduce nitrates.. so why all the talk about a skimmer or a scrubber?
He can "build" (or assemble) a Marineland bio-wheel filter to keep the fish alive. But I'm going to take a guess and assume the professor wants the students to research and hopefully come to the conclusion that live rock and sand is the natural way of filtration.
Live rock, heater, water flow.... will keep fish alive. But are there super duper things on the internet that we can buy and build to make awesome tanks and provide the best possible life for our water friends? Yes.
Maybe the professor IS looking for an all powerful nitrate removing scrubber...maybe he's graded on how close he can get to duplicate the ocean. Who knows.. the post is vague.. we need more data from the Op.
The more I read the post, I am leaning toward the idea that there is one tank in the classroom, shared by all the students.