help. need some suggestions fast!!!!!

todj2002

im getting ready to switch my 55 to my new 90 gallon in the morning. my question is i want to paint the back of the tank and i need some input please. i want to do it tonight so it will be ready for the morning. im wondering what colors might be best and what kind of paint? it was painted black when i bought but it was peeling some so i scraped it all off. is black a good color to use. seems like blue would be better. please give me some input so i can purchase some paint after work and get this project started. mostly i need to know what kind of paint to use. tks in advance.

btldreef

I got my tank used from a friend and it has a blue background painted on it that I was too lazy to scrape off. I'm sorry I didn't. It makes the tank too blue! Pictures look awful. I would have went with black....

todj2002

thanks guys for the quick response. im glad i asked cause i was gonna go blue. im now going to go black like it was. where and the heck to u get that paint? lowes have it?

novahobbies

Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Marx, K-mart...... pretty ubiquitous, actually. At least it is 'round these parts.

spanko

WHOA! Ubiquitous. When was the last time you heard the word ubiquitous used??????
Great word novahobbies!!!!! And used correctly to boot!!!!!

johnr2604

I always paint the backs black. It just makes the colors pop more. They all turn purple eventually anyway unless you scrape the back glass.

todj2002

existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered : widespread <a ubiquitous fashion>
LOL. thanks everyone!

luvmyreef

Might I ask why paint? I use the solid backgrounds. I can have blue or reverse it for black. I use double edged tape to hold it, and noone can tell. I like the fact that I can change it...Just a thought. :)

todj2002

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3158219
Might I ask why paint? I use the solid backgrounds. I can have blue or reverse it for black. I use double edged tape to hold it, and noone can tell. I like the fact that I can change it...Just a thought. :)
well.... ive had alot of tanks. i used to do alot of freshwater before i started salt and i always used backgrounds other than paint. tried alot of different things, but it seems like it always ends up with the tape coming undone somewhere or falling down at some point. i just think it would be nice to have it painted and never have to mess with it. good point tho. i think im gonna try the paint this time.

asharp13

id go with black also, very unnoticeble and ur critters will stick out a lot more. i am not an expert on the subject but it was my understanding that krylon fusion paints were meant for plastics. id ask the home depot people what they think. another option is doing window tint that you can get at autozone. goes on easy and comes in gray, black, yellow, blue, red, and MIRROR hahahahah jk

novahobbies

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3158183
WHOA! Ubiquitous. When was the last time you heard the word ubiquitous used??????
Great word novahobbies!!!!! And used correctly to boot!!!!!
LOL I'm an English Grad. We tend to be a rather loquacious bunch, if a trifle pedantic from time to time.

Back To The Topic....are you sure you want to paint? I use plain ol' black poster cardstock taped to the top and bottom. The beauty of black is that it hides any folds or imperfections, so you don't see the seams from multiple sheets of card stock. And if I ever want to change colors, I just lift it right off!
It also cost me all of 50 cents for the card stock. Can't beat that!

mkroher

I use any latex paint. I lay the tank on it's side, and 2 coats usually covers it nicely
I prefer a navy blue background. black doesn't seem natural too me, but "reef blue" is a little light for my liking.
It's really comes down to personal preference.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by mkroher
http:///forum/post/3158383
It really just comes down to personal preference
Bingo. See, I like that blue behind your yellow tang in your avatar. But I know it looks bad fast if you don't clean the back glass....which I never do. I like to let the back glass grow so my mandarins and foxface have a little extra food in the tank. To that end, the black background is great *for me* so my eyes aren't drawn to the corraline and algae patchwork lawn that grows on my back glass. Like you said, it's really all a matter of personal opinion.
Just as an aside...my wife wants the next seahorse tank to have a YELLOW background.
Great. That's gonna hide algae as effectively as a fat dude behind a light pole.

todj2002

I painted it black.
built an overflow (didnt need to - i have an eshopps - but i been wanting to try this design) and got an 18 gallon rubbermaid to house my scrubber and skimmer. it will drain into a 10 gallon aquarium that will house my ato, return pump and chaeto. i have been trying to find a deal on a 30 long to use but this will work for now, and the price was right. i have 2 24" pc lights that will light the area under the tank. not including the light for the scrubber. i will be purchasing a larger pump soon. first im going to order another 250 mh so i can have one on each side of the tank. i would guess that should be plenty of light. i can get the icecap kit for $250. might go that route. not sure yet.
been doing alot of looking. im going to start putting everything in it tomorrow morning.
i cant wait.

todj2002

i got the design here. ive made several before but not this type. im anxious to try it out. i just left lowes, had to get some plumbing parts and now im at lfs geting salt and some water from his tank. i wil post progression pics later.

todj2002

WOW! i have been at it all day long!!! started this morning and still have to get all my wiring done, timers and final touches. im beat!! here is a couple pics of the conversion. everyone seems to be fine in the tank. hope it stays that way. lfs gave me 30 gallons of water from one of their display tanks and i made some fresh water also. i think all is good. to tired to go on about it tonight but here are a couple pics.