Help new LR order with nats in it

dmcoug9

I just recieves a LR order and there are about two hundred nats in the container has this ever happened to anyone else

michaeltx

it happens did you get it from SWF? ahead of time if not please do nt post a link to where you got it.
but I am not sure on why they appear but in my area right now with all the rain we have a bad nat problem here and they get in everything in a matter of minutes. This may have been what happened.
What did the LR small like and how long did it take to get to you?
Mike

dmcoug9

Hey yes I got it from swf it was shipped on tuesday and got here thurs. afternoon coming right into my house so I dont know where it could of gotten them unless they were there when they shipped it, The LR had a little pundgent smell but not to bad

michaeltx

more than likely when it was being packed they got into the box and where shipped along with the rock. They are reall bad here I can imagine what they are like farther south.
mike

sexyfishers

? for ya.. how does your lr look from swf? and how much did you order? I am thinking of placing an order for lr here. Also, is it fully cured or are you going to have to cure it for a while?

michaeltx

no matter what rock you get if the rock is shipped then it will need to be cured before placeing it in a tank with livestock. during the shipping process there is going to be dieoff unless the rock is shipped in water and that would cost you a lot more money than you or I am probably willing to pay for it.
HTH
Mike

petjunkie

Had that happen with some live rock I had shipped, live rock usually sits around for a day or two after collecting and bugs get attracted to the dying critters, lay some eggs and you get gnats and flies when you get the box. Freaked my boyfriend out pretty good, he called me at work when he opened the box and saw bugs.

newtankman

I purchased some lr at the lfs for a new tank and after two weeks there was all these larva’s swimming around in the tank. The larva then turned into small nats, that died as they could not get out and I had to scoop there tiny dead body’s off the top of the water.
The rock was in a tank at the lfs and I brought it home in water, so it must be eggs in, or on the rock.