Help! Newbie Tank Setup Questions

jrx7

OK please be gentle I'm new to marine tanks. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for quite a while and feel that I'm ready to take the plunge into the saltwater world, but I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I read the tank setup FAQ over in the Hobbyist Info section of this site and I printed out a list of items that I think I need. I took the list down to my local fish store and talked to one of their "experts" about what I really need. Of course all he wanted to do was sell me everything in the damn store. When we were all said and done the bill was $1700! :eek: And that's just equitpment I already have a tank and stand. So I told him I'd do some more research and come back later.
OK now on to my questions:
I have a 55 gallon tank and stand with a single tube flourescent hood. I originally was going to go with a reef setup, but realized that it would be too much for a first timer. Out of the list below, what exactly do I need to get started:
Filter - Fluval 404?
Protein Skimmer - ?
UV Filter - ?
Power Heads - ?
Heater - 200W?
Test Kit - ?
Hydrometer - ?
Thermometer - ?
Sand - ?
Salt - ?
I'd like to get the bare minimum to start and then once the tank is cycled start to add on the rest. I know a Protein Skimmer is important, but what kind is the best for me? The guy at the store wanted to sell me a "Quad 1 Vent" which needed a Mag 4 water pump. Wouldn't a simple airstone style skimmer be enough? Also wouldn't it be bad to have the protein skimmer setup during the intial cycling? What about the Power Heads? I know that good water flow is important, but how much is too much for a 55 gallon tank? Do they need a water pump too? And the UV sterlizer just seemed like overkill also.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ozzfan84

uv is if you want a better chance at preventing parasite attacks. I dont use uv on any tank under 100 gal, and they arr all fine though. You could go without, but might want to check into on ein the future. powerheads are important. Everything on the list is important, but it sounds alittle too expensive because you allready have the tank and stand and light. A good skimmer you could use that is also inexpensive is a product called a "skilter" its a hang on filter asd well as a skimmer. but that cant be your only filter method. There are many websites that you can get these thing for much less. email me if you want the links. Ozzfan84@aol.com

osakamy

take your time! buy what you think you need it. most of the time they just push you to buy everything. you need a skimmer,wet-dry filter,good lighting,two powerhead in the tank,test kit for nitrate,ph,no2,hydrometer,salt,live rock,chiller (if you stay in asia) and don't buy fluval filter but eheim filter coz' easy to get spare parts. I am now try to convert eneim filter to a denitrator and when i am success i will post in the board. hope this help.

predator

Saltwater is so a rewarding. All you need is the want to learn, paitence and $$$.I'm really answering you question about the skimmer. Honestly you don't have to have one,But you really should invest in one. If you asked most enthusiet they will tell you it is recommended. I personally use one by sea life systems. Or look into a prizem by red sea. :)

jrx7

Thanks for all the help guys. The link you sent me is excellent Ozzfan, thanks! Is the Prizm Skimmer self powered, or does it need a water pump?