Help on Equipment please...

zarn

I have decided to purchase an Oceanic Bowfront 72 Gallon for my first Saltwater Tank. However I could use some help when it comes to which skimmer , sump pump , etc... to pick out.
I plan on going with live rock and then will add some fish as time goes by. With the end result of making this a Reef Tank probably 1 year or later down the road.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction to the best equipment I can get for my new tank. I want to do this right so I do not plan to skimp on anything equipment wise.
Thanks in Advance

mudplayerx

These brands are good:
Emperor (filters)
Coralife (lights)
Red Sea (skimmers)
Any powerhead sold at Walmart
Avoid this skimmer brand:
Aquarium Systems
-this is just my experience
ps- keep in mind that reef tanks can only have a very small amount of fish.

blemmy_guy

Well Oceanic make about the best Glass tanks, so thats a great start. And Mud is right about those brands, i have a few of them myself, but you can find good ones out there if you really look around tht are just as good for not quite the same cash. Just take your time. if moneys not a problem, then go for it, and never overlook used equipment, as long as you know where there coming from and trust who your getting it from. Good luck Todd
p.s. Thats a great lookin tank, i love bowfronts!

sly

I have a 72 gallon bowfront and can tell you some of what I've learned. First go with Living Rock. The more the better. Get a good skimmer that can handle the load. I use a Kent TE skimmer and it works perfect.
Get a sump filter system. Something with a wet/dry trickle set-up. Some people don't like the bio-balls in a wet/dry but if you keep a good prefilter before them, they are great at eliminating ammonia. I have found that adding mangroves to an under tank refugium was a good decision. The mangroves remove all algae causing substances from the water including nitrates, phosphates, etc. They keep your water incredibly clean. I haven't done a water change in almost a year and everything is great.
I, unlike many here, recommend using crushed coral substrate. Many will disagree with this but I'll tell you why I like it. If you have a good filter system with plenty of LR, then you don't need to rely on your substrate for filtration. Add a small layer of crushed coral to the tank and rely on it just for looks. It cleans better and will not crash your tank if you stir it... I wrote a long post on crushed coral... I'll dig it up in a minute.
I recommend an ozone generator also. I have one hooked up to my skimmer and it leaves the water completely crystal clear. Ozone kills water borne bacteria and parasites that can harm the fish. It also breaks down protiens better than just regular skimming.
Buy plenty of powerheads to keep the water stirred. This keeps junk from settling on the substrate decomposing. Instead the junk stays suspended in the water where the filter system can remove it. Maxijet powerheads are the best in tank powerheads you can buy. Rio are cheaper, noiser and break sooner.
Buy a good main tank pump. Iwaki (sp?) is a good brand. You want lots of water circulation through your filter system.
Clean out your pre filter (filter floss, foam, etc.) at least once every 2 weeks. This is not hard to do and will remove most of the junk that causes ammonia, etc in the water.
If you want coral, you will need good lighting. I bought the parts individually and built my own but there are lighting systems out there that are very good. I recommend something on a timer and that has moon lights. This provides some soft ambient light for the fish at night so that they are not stressed out from being in a totally dark environment. For coral, something around 5 watts per gallon is good. I have Power compact lights on mine, but if you can afford it, Metal Halides would be a better choice.
Don't waste your money on cheap gear that you will have to replace later. Too many people spend too much money on trying to save money. I'm included in the bunch. Buy what you need the first time and if you can't afford it, wait.
Don't skimp on the lights, pump, or skimmer. These are all necessities.

sly

Here's the old thread on lr and cc... https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...hreadid=127216
Yes, mangroves need a light. I have a simple 2 bulb florescent fixture with grow lights installed above my refugium. It all sits behind the cabinet under my tank with the doors closed. 40 watts is all the lighting I have on them and it has worked well for a year now. The good thing with putting grow lights over the refugium is that it causes algae to grow in it. This is good because if algae is growing in a refugium, it is not growing in your tank because you are making it easier for it to instead grow in the refugium where it can then absorb the toxins it feeds off of, leaving the main tank clean.
Like I said, I never do water changes and only every 4 days or so do I take the cleaning magnet across the glass to remove the slight haze of algae that forms on the tank walls. The water stays clear and I just tested my parameters last week and everything was still untraceable. ie, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite phosphate are all 0 while pH remains at 8.3 and SG is 1.023.