HELP on keeping water quality good

garrett042

yea i have a 12gal reef tank and wanted to know the best way to keep good water quality i have a refuge and ls but what can i put in the refuge to keep my wq good :notsure:

pclown

One thing and the most important thing in my opinion is Live Rock. You want to add as much live rock to your tank, and I would add Live Sand to the refuge as well with more Live Rock. If you have some type light I would add some type of Macro Algae. I have a friend who has a 12g tank and has had it setup for well over a year. He keeps it way over stock and it looks great!! He has not lost one fish in almost a year, no algae but coraline and his nitrates are always around 5. I would never do it but he has and he says it is because of how he has it set up and he does weekly 20% water changes.
In his 12g tank he has 25 pounds of live rock 15 pounds of live sand and has live rock in the back chamber. He also uses Purigen which is what I use.
Also do weekly waters or no less than bi-weekly and you will be ok.

wla1610

Like the guy said above. The refuge is key imo. Anything that can take out nitrates is great. Weekly water changes are a must as well. Feed enough but don't overfeed is also important.
If you have alot of corals make sure you have proper calcium levels and proper levels of all other minerals required. Once everything is set up, you should be able to figure out when to add stuff. And you should have little problem.