Help please! Shroom melting!

drakken

I've had this mushroom since it was the size of a quarter. It has grown to over 10 inches and had been flourshing for a few years.
Just a few days ago it wasn't opening and now it is melting. There is a hole in the center and pieces are falling off.
The tank is a 55 gal with 130 watt PC lighting. There are some zoos, small shrooms, Conga branch and buttons. Nothing has been added to the tank in many months and the other corals are fine.
I did a 14 gal water change last night and I'm doing another today. I also changes the filters last night. pH and alk are good (test strip) and the salinity is 1.25 (refractometer).
Any ideas?

drakken

Originally Posted by peef
I have never personally seen one split but maybe yours is?

This one has split many times. They don't look like this when it happens.

cpbirds407

A few months ago I had that happened. Now I have two smaller ones. It looks like it desintegrates in a matter of a few days ans all of the sudden stops and starts forming into many other mushrooms. A big change in PH will cause some mushroons and some anemones to split. Again, this is my experience and what I've seen happen.

drakken

Originally Posted by cpbirds407
A few months ago I had that happened. Now I have two smaller ones. It looks like it desintegrates in a matter of a few days ans all of the sudden stops and starts forming into many other mushrooms. A big change in PH will cause some mushroons and some anemones to split. Again, this is my experience and what I've seen happen.

I hope this is the case. I've just never seen it do this before.

darknes

Does it look like this? I had one large mushroom that formed a hole in the center, and then it eventually split into 5 new mushrooms. I thought it was dying too. They're all doing great now, and I actually have about 30 in this spot.

drakken

Originally Posted by Darknes
Does it look like this? I had one large mushroom that formed a hole in the center, and then it eventually split into 5 new mushrooms. I thought it was dying too. They're all doing great now, and I actually have about 30 in this spot.
The hole is about a 1/4 inch wide right now. I will be keeping an eye on it.

cpbirds407

Yeah I just noticed a rock of mushrooms that were doing the same thing and now I have like three times as many!!! I strongly believe its a drop in PH that makes this happen! ...i guess :)

cpbirds407

But I have to say that you have a gorgeous mushroom!! When it finally finishes splitting, let me know so I can go pick one up from you! LOL. :)

drakken

Originally Posted by cpbirds407
But I have to say that you have a gorgeous mushroom!! When it finally finishes splitting, let me know so I can go pick one up from you! LOL. :)

Thanks! Seeing that you're in FL I'll bring you one but you'll have to wait until Winter. :D