help please with anemone

spyke326

ok i have a 24g nano cube like 3 1/2 weeks old. 2 true clownfish doing good. i have had the anemone sence sunday

mryoung7

i'm very interested to know what kind of lighting you have, as just three days ago you had no idea what kind of lighting anemones required. i hope you did some research after that and purchased some powerful lighting. can you tell us what it is?
thanks and good luck with your anemone.

mryoung7

p.s. in order to help you, viper is also going to want to know the results of your water tests. nitrates, nitrites, alk, ph, etc. especially since this is a new tank, it must be determined whether it's done cycling. in my opinion, 3.5 weeks is way too early to add an anemone but now you need to determine if it can be sustained. please post these readings asap.

rustyj

You just answered your question. Who sold you that anenome. I really hope it wasnt from an LFS. Anenomes are very very sesative to water quality, you tank is probably still cycling and killed it. Most people wont recomend putting an anenome in a tank less than 6 mos old and that is for well established tanks with really good lighting. I am sorry for your loss but you should get a good book on keeping fish, corals and anenomes and read it before making another decision to add anything to your tank. Unfortunately LFS's are not always the best source of reliable information when you are asking about a purchase, they only see the green. Also if it dies in the tank it can take the whole tank with it, they are very toxic when the die so if you dont think it will recover you may want to move it or remove it.

mryoung7

yeah, if that anemone isn't already a goner, it will be very soon unless you immediately upgrade your lighting. i don't want to hold it over your head but i wish you had responded to the other thread when i told you that anemones are very picky about lighting and asked what you had.

viper_930

All great advice above. ^
The lights in nanocubes/aquapods aren't strong enough to sustain anemones long term. Also, 3.5 weeks is way too soon, the tank may not have even finished the cycle yet. Anemones need well-established systems with stable water conditions. I recommend a tank at least 6 months old.
Any chance you could return the anemone? I'll be very suprised if it lasts a couple weeks in your tank.

viper_930

I've never used it, but I'm familiar with it's purpose. Even if you used this in the beginning, that doesn't mean the tank is automatically safe and "aged" enough to add anemones, otherwise everybody will be all over it. I don't recommend people to wait 6 months before getting an anemone because it's fun to make people wait. It also takes time for the bacteria population to reach equilibrium with the amount of food they have in the tank.
Even if you believe the water quality is perfect (when it's not) there's still the issue of lighting. Your tank does not have enough lights to keep any hosting-species of anemones.