Help Please!

heithingi

Hi Everyone,
My order from Saltwaterfish.com is FINALLY coming in tomorrow...and it dawned on me....how does one acclimate a spiney puffer (Diodon holocanthus)and get him out of the bag into your tank without him inflating??? I am seriously stressed about this.
The Pinktail Trigger is also coming in tomorrow...I am tense about that, too, as he was supposed to have shown up BEFORE the Niger was even put into the tank...so, all today I have been feeding that tank very heavily, will do so again in the morning, try to move a few rocks, and I think I will cover the tank with a blanket once the new fish are added.
Believe it or not, even though all of you helped me alot picking out my fish for this tank, I am beginning to think it is overloaded. I think it is going to look cramped. Guess we will see! I am not going to add the last wrasse, as much as I want to, just because I do not want to overload the tank. Maybe if I could ever catch the three green chromis damsels it will look better! LOL
Any ideas for the puffer would be greatly appreciated!!!
Lynda

it is a very simple procedure. when you get him open up the bag he is in (chances are he will be a little blown up). in the box there will be a acclimating procedure wirtten by saltwaterfish.com ....float the bag in the water and then in like 15 minutes double the bags water with aquarium water. and then itroduce him. but follow their instructions.

heithingi

Hi,
I guess I was not clear...I know how to acclimate a fish, however, I do not understand how to get the puffer out of the bag and into a net, then into the tank, without him inflating. What if he gets stuck in the net?
Lynda

well mine didnt puff up at all when i put him from a big bag to the tank. if he is large you could take two nets and pick him up and put him between the two nets so he wil be in the middle and you wont have to tip the net on its side.

pufferlover

If you see this in time after floating the bag when you are ready to transfer the spiny if you have a container pour the water and Puffer in the container pour out as much water as posssible and pour the puffer into the tank. I do it this way and yes you may get a little of their water in the tank but it is better then having the Puffer blow up in a net. Not only is blowing up not good but the spines can get caught in the net making the release harder.

heithingi

Hi!
Well, the puffer and pinktail are now in the tank, no problems, no puffing...but I must say, these are really two great fish! Now, if I can just talk my niger into being good....
Lynda

pufferlover

Good I'm glad it worked however you ended up doing it. Now don't get me wrong here but remember what I said about spiney's. If at any time you think it is having problems move it to another tank (I hope it never does) due to the toxin it can release. 99 times out of a hundred you will be fine (I happened to be number 100 with mine a while back). In my case I did not know enough about them till after the fact.
[ May 04, 2001: Message edited by: Pufferlover ]