HELP quick my clown

marco333

My clown is getting sick. His fins seem to be rotting, and both his eyes are cloudy. I have two medicines at home right now.
1) Pima Fix, which says treats fungal infections on body and fins, and is reef safe
2) Saltwater Maracyne-Two, which treats fin and tail rot. Im not sure if its reef safe
Can someone tell me which medicine is more effective, and will keep my inverts as safe as possible. Also, is there a better medicine i should go and buy?
Thanx
edit: those white dots on him in the pic are on the glass..its not ick

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can not add medications to your tank! Do you have a quarantine tank? How long have you ad this fish? Do you notice an pealing? Or is that just like a whitish-grey film over the fish?

trikonreef

Man, do not dose any meds in your display tank. I wouldn't add meds to mine as I'd be a little more than concerned regardless of any claims of "reef safetyness".
If you do plan on using meds; Do you have a hospital tank? If not get a ten gal and take some LS and get some LR in it, basically set it up like you would the display -any carbon, and dose your fish in that. Oh yea, add some Stresscoat to it also. The short time (4 days) I had my clowns in mine didn't hurt them at all and I added them directly to the tank after I put the LS and LR in. Good Luck.

marco333

The problem is I do not have the option to set up a quarantine tank, as my parents will not allow any more tanks. The tank is only a 10g tank, and it is not stocked very heavly. It only has my clown and a neon goby, some bluelegs, astrea snails, and a pompom crab. I also have a small leather coral and a small kenya tree coral. I have had the clown for 4 years, and the goby for 3 years. I do not notice any pealing, it is just as u said, a whiteish-grey film that is slowly growing over my clown. I really dont want to lose this fish, as it has been with me so long, so what can I do. Will a freshwater bath help? Will doseing medicine deffiently hurt my tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are the your water readings? And what are you feeding this fish? Did this happen suddenly or gradually over time?

marco333

My temp is 79
My salt is 1.024
Not sure what my parameters are. I really need to get a test kit. I just did a 20% water change.
My fish has been sick for about a month, with it getting better sometimes, but then getting worse. Right now is the worst I have seen him so far.
I feed Kent Pellets called ChromaXtreme, and Frozen Mysis soaked in Zoe. For almost all the time I had him I fed him frozen brine, and thats all he would eat, but I was told it was bad for him and the water quality, so I slowly coaxed him off of it. I havnt fed it to him in about 2 weeks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that this fish has a bacterial infection, however you can not treat her in your display. Maracyn Two would be the correct treatment, but wo a set up Qt, there is no safe way to treat. You absolutely can not put antibiotics into your display.
Sorry for the bad news.