Help setting up QT/HT - Fast!!

splatshot

I currently have a 65 tank with a couple of false percula clowns, lawnmower blenny, clean up crew, and 2 soft corals.
Tank running about 3 months.
I didn't have a quarentine set up (dumb) and introduced the fish.
Water quality has been good.
Now I have a clown with ich. I was going to get a Qt/HT tank set up, but what is the fastest way to cycle it?
I currently have a fluval canister with the little tub things and carbon hooked up to my DT as an extra filter/flow.
Can I use this on my QT/HT with water from my DT to speed the process?
Should I take all fish out or only the one currently infected?

garnet13aj

You shouldn't have to cycle it since there won't be any LR in it. Just mix up some salt water (or use water from the DT) and add it to the QT tank. Put in some non porous material (pvc pipe works well) for the fish to hide in and that's about all you need. It's not a permanent set up so it shouldn't be a complicated system. I would just take out the sick fish, to isolate it from the (hopefully) healhty bunch.
Good luck, hope this helps.

al mc

Slapshot...IMHO you should QT all the fish. All the fish have been exposed to the parasite and the only way to eliminate it is to QT/Hyposalinity or copper treat all the fish. I would do HYPO...There is a nice write up by Beth in the archives about How to treat ICH by using Hyposalinity on the Fish and leaving the DT fishless for 6 weeks. I would read those references.
To speed up/eliminate a cycle in the QT take some filter material and water
from the DT to start it and maybe even a little ( cup ) of substarte from the DT.
Good luck....It is not easy, but you can eliminate the ICH.

splatshot

So if I have filter medium in my canister, I can just use that filter without carbon on the QT/Hospital tank I am going to set up? Will they speed the cycle or eliminate the need to wait.
Once I have it, I will follow the instruction Beth put out there.

geridoc

Originally Posted by splatshot
So if I have filter medium in my canister, I can just use that filter without carbon on the QT/Hospital tank I am going to set up? Will they speed the cycle or eliminate the need to wait.
Once I have it, I will follow the instruction Beth put out there.
Do that, but check closely on your ammonium levels and have change water prepared in the event that you have to start making water changes to control ammonium. Isolate all of your fish in hypo, and leave your dt without fish for 6 weeks. If you leave any fish in your dt you run the risk (very high risk at that) that they will host the ich, and it will just reappear when you return the fish to the tank.

rbaldino

Since I can't really have my QT up and running all the time, here's what I do. I have a small desktop reef tank in addition to my main tank. The desktop tank has a little powerfilter on it with a bio sponge, filter floss, and carbon. When I need to run my QT, I take the sponge and floss out of the desktop tank, replace them with new ones, and put the seeded filter media from the desktop tank in the powerfilter I have for my QT. Just like that, I've got cycled biological filtration ready to go for my QT.
If you can QT all of your fish at once, that would be best. If you can run your DT for a few weeks without any fish, all ich in the system should die off. Then, when you put them all back in, they should all remain ich-free. Good luck.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is info on setting up a QT in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum. For ich, you will need to treat all of your fish, preferably with hyposalinity.