Help shed some light on buffers

So I have a little bit of hobby experience but oddly enough I still don't understand the concept of a buffer. Please help.
-Does it raise your PH or does it just make it take longer to decrease?
-Is Baking soda a Buffer?
-Will Baking soda raise my PH?
-Will adding it to the tank hurt anything?
-What are some other ways to raise PH?
-If I do get a buffer, what brand do you use/what is the best?
Sorry for all the major noob questions but its been eating me up

buckeye88

I have never heard anything about baking soda (doesn't mean it won't work but I wouldn't care to try it.
The buffer I use is called pH 8.2 (or something like that). It's neat because whether your pH is too high or to low, adding it will fix it till it's at about 8.2. Also, adding it doesn't hurt anything in your tank and the directions say that it actually reduces stress for the fish. Unfortunatley I left it at my girlfriend's house so right now I can't tell you who makes it... I'll have to get back to you on that.

earlybird

I don't buffer at all. Only in QT under hypo. Buffer affects pH by affecting alkalinity which is related to calcium and magnesium. It's important to test for each before adding a buffer. I don't think there's a product that just raises the pH withouth affecting alkalinity.
Yes you can use baking soda but I believe it needs to be baked in the oven first (can't remember).
The easiest way to raise pH is to keep up on water changes and have good gas exchange at the surface. Try opening a window and airing out your home it will increase your pH.

T

tizzo

I didn't read the other posts so forgive me if I'm repeating.
A "buffer" will raise your ph, IF your alkalinity is low causing the ph to drop.
Your water chemistry is a mix of a bunch of different elements, all balanced (hopefully) to create a ph of 8-8.4.
Hopefully, with a quality salt mix, simple water changes will replenish whatever elements that your corals, algaes and critters deplete. But, mind you, you need a lot of critters.
Anyway, if you have many corals, they may deplete your calcium levels faster than water changes will replenish it. Same with alkalinity. You need to supplement.
But if you have low ph, don't just go throwing in buffers. Test your alk levels, test your calcium levels, test your magnesium levels, and most commonly and often overlooked, test your oxygen levels.
Bowl of tank water, enter air line from air pump, let it run for an hour then test the ph in that bowl. If it reads within normal range, then your tank is not getting adaquate oxygen. If thats the case, you need more surface agitation.
HTH

buckeye88

Originally Posted by earlybird
I don't buffer at all. Only in QT under hypo. Buffer affects pH by affecting alkalinity which is related to calcium and magnesium. It's important to test for each before adding a buffer. I don't think there's a product that just raises the pH withouth affecting alkalinity.
Yes you can use baking soda but I believe it needs to be baked in the oven first (can't remember).
The easiest way to raise pH is to keep up on water changes and have good gas exchange at the surface. Try opening a window and airing out your home it will increase your pH.
I didn't know they were bad for your tank... maybe I won't use that stuff anymore. Thanks for the info

reefreak29

Originally Posted by earlybird
i agree and baking soda only raises alk. if not baked you need to bake it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes for it to effectivly raise ph

PLZ OMG DONT USE BAKING SODA!!! u didnt by chance get this info from a LFS right? When I used to work at one, the guy who was teaching me about saltwater fish recommended that to people and I put 2 and 2 together and thought it was a bad idea, but what did i know i was the new guy. did those people rip him a new one! lol BUT PLZ DONT THINK ABOUT BAKING SODA. LEAVE IT TO GET THE SMELL OUT YOUR FRIDGE.