help......slime

rescue

Help I currently have a 60 gallon reef and it is suddenly being overrun with red slime. what do I do........

koiman6

how long have you had the tank setup? If it is cycled add a cleanup crew. If it is not cycled this is just one of the stages of algae that form it goes brown > red> green.

iceburger

hey, some people don't like using chemicals in their reef but the active ingredient in freshwater maricin (sp?) will take care of red slime, it also helps the health of the tank, just don't overdose, at work we use half of a tablet for 90+ gallons

rescue

i do have hermits and snails but they do not touch the red stuff. should i just wait to see what happens or should i use chemicals

azonic

It's completely up to you. I battled an outbreak of it for 4 months trying snails and crabs and reduced lighting and syphoning it out...nothing worked.
I picked up a package of Ultralife Red Slime Remover. Followed the directions on the package....48 hours later it was completely gone. And no outbreak since. No ill effects to anything in the tank.
Some people stray away from using chemicals...I guess because it's un-natural or they are afraid of what it might do. Unless you want to beat it on your own, the "chemicals" work wonders.

scubadoo

Azonic...thanks for the post...I am battling a red slime problem and was advised against using the red slime remover. I will turn the skimmer off if I decide to use the product and I am not home...thanks Ice