Help! Top brace of tank broke

cufishfan

Help! I came downstairs this morning and saw that the cross brace across the middle of my 55g snapped off the front, so the brace is hanging in the water and my glass tops and lights (which sit on top of it) are drooping into the middle

What do I do?? I didn't even know that it was weak, and it looked fine when I went to bed last night

Is there a way to replace just the cross brace? Can I replace the trim fairly easily (with fish in tank?)
I was planning to update my lighting from the cheap light fixtures that came with it to a Current USA t5 HO (which would come with mounting legs)- should I just get the lights, mount them on the sides with the legs and just get rid of the glass tops (so nothing will be resting on the trim)
PLEASE HELP! I don't want to leave my lights set up for fear that the other end of the brace will break and my lights fall into the tank.

cufishfan

Use egg crate and get rid of the glass tops completely? And where can I get egg crate/what do I need to know about buying it? (ex. one large piece, several small pieces..)
Thanks!

flower

I think you can get it at any hardware store. It looks like white plactic grating. You buy a sheet of it, I don't know what size each is, 4 foot maybe.
Cut it with tin snips to the size you want. I think all the way across the top is best for support. It is open enough to feed the fish but it has to be removed to service the tank. There might be a way to make a hinged door if your handy.

bmkj02

The big problem is the cross brace supports the glass from bowing. Without that brace you have a chance of something bad happing such as the tank glass coming apart due to the bowing and empting the whole tank. You would need to contact the company for a replacement trim piece that comes with that brace or make your own or repair it if you can depending on where the break is. For now as a quick temp fix you can something across the tank to hold up your lights till you get the repairs done.

K

kjlondry

Maybe install a large clamp in place of the missing support, like one would use when wood working. They make them pretty big and you could always cut off the excess, making it not look "AS" tacky.....but at least your water won't be all over your floor!!!!

flower

Originally Posted by bmkj02
http:///forum/post/2970778
The big problem is the cross brace supports the glass from bowing. Without that brace you have a chance of something bad happing such as the tank glass coming apart due to the bowing and empting the whole tank. You would need to contact the company for a replacement trim piece that comes with that brace or make your own or repair it if you can depending on where the break is. For now as a quick temp fix you can something across the tank to hold up your lights till you get the repairs done.
I have had the center brace brake on me and they don't sell the part. They will replace the entire trim. BIG headache.
The light should be from rim to rim above the water so it can't fall in. If your light is too short you need another light. The light must be heavy to have broken the center brace in the first place.
If that light hits the water you really will have problems.

bmkj02

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/2970784
I have had the center brace brake on me and they don't sell the part. They will replace the entire trim. BIG headache.
Yes you are correct they dont sell just the brace. My previous comment was that you will have to get a whole new trim piece that comes with the brace. Problem is finding out who makes your tank. 55g are usually standard size so any company might work BUT that IMO and I dont know for sure. Mine broke and it was a 55 and I just did away with it and got a 125.
If you are worried about the light falling in then most likely its shorter than the length of the tank. Egg crate might work but without that center brace it might sink in the middle and still fall in. I have never used egg crate for that so it really try it and find out if it will support the weight without that brace.

cufishfan

So basically, the brace needs to be fixed, even though I'm getting lights that are mounted on the sides of the tank, because the tank could bow out.
Am I better off just buying a new tank? 55g are pretty standard and I've seen some tank-only CL offers for $50-$60. I was planning to tear down the tank and replace my UGF and CC with LS, so switching to a new tank wouldn't be such a huge inconvenience.
Thanks for all the help so far

05xrunner

is there enough room on each end left of the brace to have about 1.5" left on each side after you cut out the rest.
If so cut off the rest in the middle and go get a piece of stainless steel rod not something super skinny but not something really thick..just enough..maybe like an 1/8" size one..and drill a hole in each side of the plastic trim left on the tank and then get the rod and have the ends bent so you can put it down into the holes..you can use some silicone to keep it in place..and presto all done and nice and secure.
just a quick drawing maybe help you get the idea what i am saying

bmkj02

Originally Posted by CUfishfan
http:///forum/post/2970810
So basically, the brace needs to be fixed, even though I'm getting lights that are mounted on the sides of the tank, because the tank could bow out.
Am I better off just buying a new tank? 55g are pretty standard and I've seen some tank-only CL offers for $50-$60. I was planning to tear down the tank and replace my UGF and CC with LS, so switching to a new tank wouldn't be such a huge inconvenience.
Thanks for all the help so far

Yeap. They are pretty standard and cheap to find. Check out craigs and get one cheap. Or try to fix it. You can do like 05xrunner said or get a strip of acrylic and Weld-On it on.

K

kjlondry

I got a 50 gallon breeder tank for 60 bucks in MI. So if you got the cash, might as well just replace the tank.

E

eric b 125

i would disagree with the idea of using metal on a fish tank. if the metal rusts, it could leech bad things into your water causing your tank to crash. also, if you're going to get a new tank you might as well upgrade, unless of course you are happy with a 55. if you're not going to upgrade, i'd say just replace the trim while you have the tank down. its such a small thing, but man is it important!

flower

Eggcrate won't hold up the light. I got some today and I thought about you and your problem. It is way to flimsy.
I do have an idea. Did you keep the center brace piece? Because if you did there is a marine epoxy that hardens into rock that might just fix the piece strong enough to hold up.
It molds like clay and it attaches to material wet or dry.

cufishfan

By the time I got home today, the front of the tank had already started to bow
So I started to panic a little. I couldn't find any good tanks on CL for quick pickup either.
I went to one LFS, they said they could order the trim and I should be able to fix it on my own (might need a little help getting the trim off, but nothing professional). BUT, I wouldn't be able to get the trim until Tuesday (and in the 8-9 hrs I was gone at work, the front had already bowed out about an inch or so)... So I called my OTHER lfs, they said pretty much the same thing. So I'm thinking that I'll have to empty the tank and move everything to my 2-30g plastic tubs (which THANKFULLY I bought a few weeks ago). I'm just about to hang up the phone when I ask the lfs if they happen to have a used 55 that they'd be willing to sell. No dice. BUT
they have a drilled 75g, on sale, with PC lights (that I'd probably sell and upgrade to T5s) and wet/dry, plus stand... for $250!
So instead of the $14 replacement trim, and $10-20 silicone glue to fix my tank... I think I'm going to upgrade
. I'm going in tomorrow to look at it, because they're selling as-is, but I feel pretty good about it.
Of course, I still might have to fix the trim on the old one, even if it is just to re-sell it. Thanks so much for everyone's helpful suggestions and I'll keep you posted on this potential new tank.

flower

Is this an acrylic tank?
I never heard of "bowing" it must have been "bowing" to begin with, and that is why the brace broke in the first place.
That tank may not last the night. I hope you put everything into the tubs anyway.
Keep us posted.

05xrunner

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/2971470
i would disagree with the idea of using metal on a fish tank. if the metal rusts, it could leech bad things into your water causing your tank to crash. also, if you're going to get a new tank you might as well upgrade, unless of course you are happy with a 55. if you're not going to upgrade, i'd say just replace the trim while you have the tank down. its such a small thing, but man is it important!
notice I said stainless steel...I man what do you think all those prop rods are made out of in powerheads and such.

flower

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2971640
notice I said stainless steel...I man what do you think all those prop rods are made out of in powerheads and such.
Don't be so sensitive. I noticed you said stainless steel.

You need to ask yourself WHY did it break to start with, long before you think about fixing/replacing it! There obviously is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed or the next one will do the same thing given time. Once you fix why it happened then replace the trim.