Help...VHO and Acrylic tank

scarybo

I found the lights I want 380 watts VHO electronic ballasts. I need a new canopy to fit them in. Since I dont have access to the necessary tools I will need to buy it. Is 4 inches above the tank ok for acrylic tanks. I would use two fans blowing into the hood. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

R

randy 12

I've seen some warping on Clarity Plus tanks with VHO lighting at 4" w/2 fans.
Also saw one for sale that warped considerably and the top was even cracked from the corner of the open part to the corner of the tank. They said they had only used the regular fluorescent light (which was a Clarity Plus light).

scarybo

I found a Icecap system..It comes in ABS hood with a fan and acrylic spash guard. This sounds good to me.. and should not present any cracking problems..Opinions???

azonic

The icecap would be your best system to get...you won't get anything better as far as VHO goes.

scarybo

I heard the icecap is the way to go. There are cheaper setups I could find but I want the abilty to upgrade or add a dimmer later when the funds allow. How hot do the bulbs run on yours azonic

farlow

I don't have any heat issues from my VHO setup.
But it's a retro inside my canopy... and the ICeCap ballasts (2x) are down under the tank mounted on the stand, so that could be it...
The ballasts don't get hot to the touch either though, even after being on all day.