Help w/DIY MH "kit"...3 issues in all!

johnnysalt

I have 2 places in mind to get a low-cost DIY 175w Metal Halide kit from. They're both around $90.....b/c they come with low K level bulbs. (I'm planning on selling those bulbs on ---- anyway)
Questions: One that cost $95 comes with 175W UNassembled magnetic ballast, 5500K bulb, mogul socket, and mounting bracket.
The other one that cost $75 comes with 175w ballast, 4500k bulb, socket, ballast, mounting bracket and cord & plug.
Different bulbs as you can see and the 2nd has the cord and plug.
1st issue: Putting it all together.....neither comes with instructions or diagrams, etc. I could figure it out eventually I'm sure.....but I'd rather have some tips from you guys!
2nd issue: Reflector.....how can I make my own?? Of course as cheaply as possible! I can go as wide as 60" inside my hood.
3rd issue: Where can I get some cheap AC fans.....I don't want the same kind as used in computers....those run off DC I believe.

S

sebae0

you could always pick up the plug at a home depot, secondly i used galvanized sheet metal as a reflector in my hood and it works great and a lot lower cost then buying a true reflector.jmo

reefsoe

i was just about to say make yourself a reflector, i left that part out an now have foil around the wood on my hood because the bulb burned the wood, i need to get sheet metal an cut it which would be the best idea,
get yourself a 2 x 4 screw it into the top lid of the canopy, then onto the 2x4 screw in your sheet metal an mogul sockets.

johnnysalt

1st choice: $75 with 4300k bulb
2nd choice: $94 with 5500k bulb
The 2nd choice doesn't come with a cord but no big deal. I'll have to make my own enclosure too with either kit......any tips/ideas?!? :confused:
Re: bulbs...prob. gonna be too yellow, so they'll go on ---- pretty quick after I install everything and make sure they work. Prob. replace them with 10k or 12k bulbs in a few months.
Re: reflectors....I picked up 10' of 20" width galvanized roof flashing at home depot for $8.94....cheaper than lowe's fyi....my diy hood is only 5' long, so I can use the leftover for a friend's or whatever. Got some Brass Cleaner and it is really shiny now....didn't think it would work that well but it did!
Re: dc fans...Is there a cheap converter/adapter that will do this? Guess I'll have to do some wiring then too? I've found some, but all over $30.....so that's backwards.....I'd rather buy 2 ac fans for that!
Your thoughts?! (t.i.a.!)
John:cool:

johnnysalt

Trebor.....That was my first choice.....guess you didn't click my links!:rolleyes:
Grimm....I know that 4300k are not as good as others, but this picture (using that bulb) looks good enough for me!
Everyone else.....any other thoughts for cheap AC (not dc computer-type) fans for us?! I'm seriously thinking of mounting a $8 desk fan in my hood.....no doubt I can get that to work cheaper....and quieter too!
T.I.A.,
John:cool:

reefsoe

Originally posted by JohnnySalt
Grimm....I know that 4300k are not as good as others, but this picture (using that bulb) looks good enough for me!

John i know 4300k are cheaper but its not the right color temp for most corals.... and algae loves it!
so either you will need to change temp's or run actinics

pyro383

There is a reflector between the MH and the wood, the temp is probably between 120 and 150, wood can burn at around 400, so no worry there.

pyro383

I focused only on the heat issue, not the distance from the water to the light, It should be at least 6" from the water as long as there is not alot of splashing going on.

jarvis

Go at least six inches mabee more. You dont want your fisies getting stabbed with shards of glass when it explodes.

conundrum

the benefits of using a mirror for a reflector are great, mount it with a small gap between it and the hood.
"If you think doubling your efforts can compensate for lack of skill, there is no end to what you can't do."