Help w/ Grouper

grouperhead

Here's the deal. I have a miniatus around 5" and now he has been acting strange for about a week. He has lost all of his color, and now is a dull pink all day long. He also is out swimming alot, but when he swims hell jerk his body and shake his head. He is always scratching himself against the lr. His eyes are clear. His fins arent ripped or torn either. He is also breathing heavily. He is eating good though, and the other inhabitant, my picasso trigger is fine and hes not picking on the grouper. Water paramaters are fine. Anyone know what is wrong with him?
[ April 28, 2001: Message edited by: Grouperhead ]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He is obviously suffering from a disease process that is going on, and, the clue to the type of disease is the scratching. Take a good close look at him, using a magnifying glass if necessary, to see if you see any ICK on him.
I don't know what type of setup you have, or how long you've been up and running. Need more info to provide a recommended course of treatment.
However, if you have LS, LR or reef system, you need to setup a separate hospital tank ASAP [if you don't already have one], and move the sick fish over to it.
Let us know more info SOON, so we can help. If its ick, you need to address it fast---today.

grouperhead

i saw no ick on him, looked with a micro scope. he is in a 75 gallon FOwLR. the only other inhabitant is a picasso trigger. He (grouper) is around 5". I have a 20 gal hospital tank i am moving him too. my lfs suggested copper for him. later,bo

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Trey, I wonder how many hobbyst have microscopes?! ;) Where would you get a microscope? The best I have is the magnifying glass, which I do use a lot of to give everything in the tank a good look.
Since this fish appears healthy but has symptoms of "coming down" with something, you might want to go with hyposalinity rather than copper.

grouperhead

I got my micro scope from my school. it is one of the older ones they have. i am going to give him a dip tomorrow morning. should i use copper? the lfs said copper or maybe hyposalinity. he ate some squid today. he is eating well and i will give him a dip tommorow. try what should i look for under the micro scope. thanks for all your help, bo

kimmisue

What your describing is how fish react to parasites.
Do you have any kind of cleaners in there?
Maybe pick up some parasite fish food for marine.
If allowed( depending on the other fish in your tank) you should look into getting a cleaner wrasse or shrimp. They will take care of the external parasites for you.
Kim