Help want to make my own food?

coastie81

Hi I am looking to make my own food but not sure what too add? also can I add the can squid and other can seafood or should I get them fresh? so do you just blend everyhting together? I was thinking if I do that I can just make cubes out of the really small ice cube trays? I have zoecon that I can also add to the food while it is thawing out. I ask because I cannot get frozen food here at any of the LFS and places will not ship here.
Please help me out here
Thanks

jeanheckle

I made my food all from the fresh seafood counter, I used clams, shrimp, squid, tilapia. I also added algae sheets. I blended everything in the food processor and froze it.
While it's thawing I add zoe and zoecon and fresh squeezed garlic. I spent a total of 6 dollars and have enough food for a very long time.

mr.clownfish

that sounds fun!! i wanna try but my mom will kill me if she finds out i blended like 10 diffrent smelly sea creatures together.

but if i did make my own food i would blend
squid
clams
black muscles (from the beach)
just a little freshly juiced garlic
fresh crab (from crab fishing)
3 or 4 diffrent kinds of shrimp.
a few kinds of fish like mackerel,smelt,halibut, and pink grouper
fresh algae from the glass of the tank and from the beach
some flake food
lettuce
and maybe algae sheets
all together into a mush and fill up tiny plastic cubes and feed them. they will be big, nice, fat and healthy.

jtt

what an awesome idea! im sick of buying frozen food from the lfs. I actually used to be the seafood guy at my local safeway, so help me understand here... because i was thinking to do pretty much the same stuff you suggested but a few questions...
Raw shrimp? (or should it be pre cooked shrimp?)
Where do you get Algae sheets?
What kind of flake food? there are like 32 different kinds!
put the garlic juice in before or after you mix/freeze it?
Im feeding Mysis shrimp right now, but that has got other junk in it i need to consider too right?

mr_x

yep. i made mine from the supermarket too. i add some flake food to the tank occasionally, but for the most part i use fresh seafood that was ground up and frozen flat.
every time it's something different. this mix was shrimp, cod, orange roughy, thawed and strained misis shrimp, and frozen cyclo-peeze.
try not to use any really fatty fish like salmon.
all foods are raw. i would not use canned because alot of the time they use a preservative, salt or something that i don't want in my tank.
algae sheets can be purchased at chinese markets or maybe even your own supermarket. i get them from "wegmans" in the "international" isle. look for sushi nori.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2801379
what an awesome idea! im sick of buying frozen food from the lfs. I actually used to be the seafood guy at my local safeway, so help me understand here... because i was thinking to do pretty much the same stuff you suggested but a few questions...
Raw shrimp? (or should it be pre cooked shrimp?)
Where do you get Algae sheets?
What kind of flake food? there are like 32 different kinds!
put the garlic juice in before or after you mix/freeze it?
Im feeding Mysis shrimp right now, but that has got other junk in it i need to consider too right?
Don't cook anything before processing, it's raw just like they would eat in the wild. Don't add the garlic juice ahead of time, soak the fresh pressed garlic in tank water 10 minutes and then strain the juice into the thawed food. The garlic loses all benefit very quickly.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/2801349
that sounds fun!! i wanna try but my mom will kill me if she finds out i blended like 10 diffrent smelly sea creatures together.

but if i did make my own food i would blend
squid
clams
black muscles (from the beach)
just a little freshly juiced garlic
fresh crab (from crab fishing)
3 or 4 diffrent kinds of shrimp.
a few kinds of fish like mackerel,smelt,halibut, and pink grouper
fresh algae from the glass of the tank and from the beach
some flake food
lettuce
and maybe algae sheets
all together into a mush and fill up tiny plastic cubes and feed them. they will be big, nice, fat and healthy.

You can get a fairly inexpensive food processor to use just for this purpose.

mr_x

i wouldn't use anything from the beach. things that are close to shore tend to have alot more pollutants in them than off of the coast.

perfectdark

I make my own as well, clams, shrimp, squid, scallops, oysters (small amount) mussles, cyclops and some type of white fish, cod or haddok. Stay away from the oily fish, salmon, tuna etc... algae sheets, garlic juice, selcon.
I bought a cheapo food processor, $10 at the store, thats the one i use to make my food. My fish go crazy for it, and I feed my corals it too.