Help - Water Levels

rblovell

Gang,
I need some help with water levels. Here is the story. My tank has been up since October. I stocked it with a clean up crew, 2 damsels and a trigger after cycling. I took the trigger out at the advice of many here. Since January all the tank has had is 1 damsel and a clean up crew. I am waiting to restock after I get some live rock, which I was hoping to do this weekend. Algea is growing all over my sand bed and my water levels are out of whack:
PH - 8.0
nitrates - 20
nitrites - .2
Ammonia - 0
Alk - normal
This is the worst shape I've been in since I started and I have basically no livestock.
Please help with how to fix my levels, etc...
Thanks,
Bryan

coorsxman

i out try to do some water changes, first your tank should of stoped cycling by now. you can buy alge drops in the store they work very well , mine tank did that also when i just set it up

col

could the nitrite test kit be faulty? Can you get a second opinion on the nitrite level.

justinx

are you using RO water?
do you have a DSB?
what kind of filtration do you have?
do you have any live rock at all?
it sounds to me like you have inadequate filtration. adding som live rock as you said you were going to do will help in the long run, but at first it may cause your tank to go through another cycle.
also try doing smaller water changes more frequently such as two gallons on a weekly basis.