Help with an ID

hkgar

Just discovered this little critter in the back of the tank. I have attached two pictures, 1st is a close up and the 2nd more distanced to give size perspective. Looks like a little anemone but I don't thinkit is.
Thanks for your help.

hkgar

Why are they bad for the tank? And where would it have come from? I haven't added anything for about six months.
Oh yah, and how do you get rid of them?

bang guy

It's in a good location to kill. You can just squirt it with some boiling water using a Turkey Baster. Hit it several times at very close range.
There are two resons they are undesireable:
1 - Most species can reproduce incredibly fast and take over a tank.
2 - They have an unusually powerful sting and will damage corals around it.

hkgar

Bang Guy
Any truth to the rumor that Peppermint Shrimp will eat them? Or is it kind or hit or miss. I have been thinking of getting a couple. I have a 50 gallon tank and have a fire shrimp and a Coral Banded. How many Peppermints could I get?

bang guy

I think Peppermints are cool. I have had 100% success with Lysmata wurdemanni. There are several species of Peppermint Shrimp and I believe L. wurdemanni is the only one that will eat Aiptasia.
I would get at least two but IMO the Coral Banded may make a snack out of them after it matures.

ifusayso

Originally Posted by hkgar
Bang Guy
Any truth to the rumor that Peppermint Shrimp will eat them? Or is it kind or hit or miss. I have been thinking of getting a couple. I have a 50 gallon tank and have a fire shrimp and a Coral Banded. How many Peppermints could I get?

Not Bang Guy, but I tried these shrimp several months ago to kill apstasia. They weren't very good at it mainly due to the abundance and size of the apstasia, but I did see them try. However, they still take care of eating pellets that hit the bottom before the fish or fire shrimp gets it. BTW I have 5 in my 55 and they do quite well, but don't see them that much during the day.
But I definitely agree don't let it get out of control...it was a big mistake on my part thinking they were a cute anemone that I didn't have to buy.

ifusayso

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I think Peppermints are cool. I have had 100% success with Lysmata wurdemanni. There are several species of Peppermint Shrimp and I believe L. wurdemanni is the only one that will eat Aiptasia.
I would get at least two but IMO the Coral Banded may make a snack out of them after it matures.

Interesting, Bang Guy, that could explain my peps not doing much with the aipstasia for me. But I still like them, so it all worked out ok, I guess.

speg

I think it is hit/miss with peppermints.. but a majority of the time it 'should' be a HIT. I think its important to get newly caught wild peppermints or at least peppermints who havent had to live in a tank for a while being fattened up with lovely pellets and flakes.
Though im with bang... i've had 100% success with mine.