help with building durso standpipe

cufishfan

So I just moved into a great apartment and I love it. But my 75g tank is now in my room, and the overflow/rushing water noise that I could live with in my living room is getting old. I've done some research and it sounds like a durso standpipe would fix my problems (cut down on noise falling about a foot into the overflow and some gurgling as air and water mix in the overflow pipe).
I currently have one of those overflow pipes that looks like lattice- just enough plastic to hold it together, but it's basically just open space, with round sponge to keep larger detritus and snails out of my sump.
I want to build a durso standpipe, but I'm not hugely handy. Can anyone give me tips?? I haven't done the exact measurements yet, but it looks like I have a 1" bulkhead and I'd like the water level to reach about 15" (about 2" below teeth cut into overflow box). I know I'll need to get some glue for the PVC pipe- what kind? And realistically, how easy is this going to be??
Thank you for any help you can give me!!

cufishfan

Thank you! I think I will just order one (instead of trying to build it.. it would end up costing me more than $20 to build it because of all the replacement parts for the ones I ruined the first time around).
Plus, seems like a very reasonable price for my sanity and sleep!