help with corals?

becka

I have a 75g which I have set up for 2 years and everything has been doing great. I would like to add some corals but not sure which to start with and what kind of light they need. I went to my LFS and here is what they have in stock... Christmas worm rock, green ricordia, finger leather, pagoda, green star polyp, trumpet frag. Would any of these be a ood place to start if so, what llighting should I have.??? TIA

keith burn

imo m/h about 250w look for one with 2 and some vho,s or pc as well.
And with it can have all of what you like.

hardcrab67

Most "Softies" like mushroons and leathers, Trumpets ard Pagoda cup are LPS, and you can keep them under Power Compacts, VHO's, roughly 5 watts per gal. I have 260watts PC w/ 2x65w 12000k daylight and 2x65w actinics. Daylights, I run for 8hrs a day and the actinics for 12hrs on a 55gal. SPS corals, such as Acropora need a more intense light and then you get into "PAR" ratings and a little more watts per gal. Not sure about the Christmas Tree Worm and I'm sure there are some LPS that would require MH lighting.The deeper the species are in the reef, the more intense light you'll need so they're photosythesis can take place. Google "corals" and you can gain more info that way. Oh and make sure your fish are "Reef Safe", some will eat corals and that would be an expensive lunch. HTH