Help with decision please..

nasotang00

I have just installed a sump with a CPR CS50 overflow and a rio2100 return pump on a 55 gallon fish/reef tank. it took the place of a magnum 350 canister filter. The canister is great except when you need to do a water change and clean it. I did install a skimmer in the sump as well.
Tell me, i am debating to reinstall the canister with a hang on prism skimmer in place of the sump because of the fear of overflowing the tank due to power outages. the sump won't overflow, i did the test. it is that i am ify. which route would be better. they will both do the same job right? anyone better that the other.

tacks

The amount of water you keep in your sump will determine if your tank will overflow. When the power goes out, it will only siphon to the level of your overflow box. If you have anything taking a suction from the bottom, then you need to install a check valve. If you don't, you will overflow your sump. I hope this was helpful...
You said you did the test and it won't overflow so I guess I'm not really sure what your question is. Usually a sump is the better choice because you can "hide" stuff like heaters, pumps, skimmers, etc. Good Luck!