help with frogspawn

nwdyr

Is there any way to frag a frogspawn, other than just cutting the "stalk"? mine only has 2 "stalks" but the fleshy part is multiplying like crazy!!! Each head has split like at least twice! It is getting way to big and is starting to sting stuff around it. Now if I separate the stalks it will only solve half my problem ,there a way to frag/cut the flesh without killing it?

A

alexmir

Just cut the outlying stalks, and leave the inner heads, I dont think there would be any way to frag the flesh, i dont see how that would be any different than cutting the stalk though.

nwdyr

there are only 2 "stalks" they are short and thick, the number of heads on each seems to be the problem, if you can call it a problem to have a healthy growing frogspawn
I was just hoping I could separate each "head" it would make each piece smaller. Just separating the stalks will give me 2 large instead of 1 xtra-large, but I guess that might be my only option huh?

nwdyr

ok, I thought this was a good idea but maybe nobody is used to the frag threads yet
anyway if anyone cares I did frag the frogspawn today, my next question ( if anyone is out there) I cut the "stalk" now can I cut the upper white-ish hard shell, it is where the flesh seems to go into
let me know what you think
This is the piece that i cut off

this is the original piece

same piece front view

M

markeo99

any chance you would sell the other head is it big enough for my clownfish

M

markeo99

that is if she is doing this right any words of wisdom out there

nwdyr

Sure I planned on selling it anyway, it's actually pretty large still, there are 3 heads there It is approx 4.5 inches wide and 2-2.5 inches high and very full. also attached to a nice piece of LR. I would take 40.00 for it I think thats a fair price from what I ahve seen here and in the LFS. Let me know

M

markeo99

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2620244
Sure I planned on selling it anyway, it's actually pretty large still, there are 3 heads there It is approx 4.5 inches wide and 2-2.5 inches high and very full. also attached to a nice piece of LR. I would take 40.00 for it I think thats a fair price from what I ahve seen here and in the LFS. Let me know
my zip is 57430 from south dakota I wonder what shipping would be

nwdyr

I have not set up everything yet that I need to start selling, i just got my pay pal account today, i will check tomorrow for shipping prices and let you know! thanks for your patience!!!

nwdyr

ok.... USPS is the lowest I can find, 21.73 overnite and 12.50 2-day. It just says 2-day so I don't know if that means like the day after or 2 actual days
let me know, i will be putting this piece on e-bay next week, thanks!

E*B*A*Y* ? Isnt that why you come here. You will get a better deal and a better buyer just going to the live selling and trading forum.

nwdyr

Originally Posted by Shaun Larlee
http:///forum/post/2620519
E*B*A*Y* ? Isnt that why you come here. You will get a better deal and a better buyer just going to the live selling and trading forum.
thanks for the input.... I also plan on selling here, and which ever one proves to be a better forum for me I will decide myself, but again thanks for the input... yea thanks

nwdyr

soooo does anybody come here???? does anyone know the answer to my question about cutting the heads??? you know the white-ish part above the "stalk" ??? any help would be great!!! I thought this was going to be a very good place to go to find answers

reefkprz

fragging through the flesh on LPS is a risky proposition. chances of secondary infection get quite high when you cut open the heads. some are almost immune to it like acanthastrea and micromussa, but soft heads like bubble coral, frogspawn, and other like them seem prone to infections when tissue cuts are made. its a lot riskier to cut through the flesh. it can be done but the chance of survival drops dramaticly. its what I call a hard frag. you can try a couple different things.
1 wet tilesaw then bucket soak for an hour with heater and powerhead (pointed up)
2 rubberband semi snug accross the area of fleshcovered skeleton where you want to cut, wait untill the flesh receeds from that area then cut with whatever tool you would like, dremel tile saw rotozip....
3 wait untill the heads seperate (not the answer your looking for)
4 (this one I dont reccomend, but I have done it successfully) come up underneath the heads and split the heads vertically between the mouths with a pair of snips/dikes/bone-cutters, like splitting firewood, then use a razor to seperate the flesh (VERY RISKY), bucket soak with powerhead (pointed UP) and heater for 1 hour.

nwdyr

thanks reef!!
but i still don't think I am explainging it right, the part I want to cut is the hard "white" part above the stalk, not the real fleshy part.... It already has like 3 heads on the stalk but like I was saying I noticed that when it was closed all the way that the white part was also hard ...
Maybe I can get a better pic of what I am talking about in the am when it is closed more. If not I think I will just give it a shot and take allot of pics to show you. Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!

nwdyr

i sold the piece and the one I have left I don't want to take a chance on soooo for now I guess it don't matter
thanks again though for the info, I am sure I will need you'r input again soon