Help With Ich Out Break!

natep206

ok so i got a midas blenyy about a week and a half ago. it brouhg t i ich im assuming. that and my orange spotted blenny have it. they really shouldnt be quarantined together. and i cant catch them everyother day to give them formulin baths and i have a reef so i cant go hypo. what should i do?
thanks
nate

lion_crazz

I would set up two 10 gallon tanks and hypo them both. You can get two 10 gallon QT set up for abot $50-$60. This would be the best way to treat the fish. Foramalin baths, freshwater dips, and most (if not all) reef-safe meds would be a waste of time.

natep206

its claimed its first victim....
went up stairse to see if i could find anything to serate a 20 gal i have and i found the midas dead
what do i need in the qt tank besides some plastic tubing? do i need a filter? do i need a power head?
thanks
nate

lion_crazz

You just need a cheap hang-on filter, a sponge to transfer biological bacteria from your display tank, cheap decorations to make the fish feel comfortable, and a heater.
I am sorry that you lost the midas blenny.

natep206

ok im going out in a few minutes to buy vinigar, a heater, a little hob filter some decorationsand sould i get some medications to quicken the healing process? also should i be soaking his food in anything?
also how should i go about lowering the sg and do i need to change the temp?
thanks,
bate

92protruck

you will need to do regular (maybe daily) water changes to keep the QT tank from cycling. I lowered salt by removing 3-4 gal from the QT then adding back 1/2 gal or so RO/DI (buffered for pH) every couple hours trying to add 3-4 gal of RO/DI in a 12 hour period. Then remove another 3-4 gal...etc. My goal was to change out 20 gal over 2-3 days. Everybody has a different method. Slower is better unless fish are really suffering, IMO.

sleasia

Nate...what is the vinegar for?
I have a 15 gallon qt with an emperor 400 hang on filter, no substrate and a few shells in there for the fish to hide amongst...a heater, and that's it. If you set up a qt and throw in a couple bags of biospira marine (live bacteria made by marineland which the lfs may have in their fridge) you may avoid your qt cycling....I used the freshwater one in my chinese goldfish bowl and it never cycled. I figure its around 25-30 gallons. So I think this is your best bet...otherwise you can buy the ready made seawater sold in some lfs which already has bacteria in it. and try doing water changes always with that to avoid the qt cycling. but no guarantee, it may still cycle nonetheless.

natep206

the vinegar is to clean out the tank im using because i used it for frogs before this....ok so its set up. im going to do daily water changes. once i get the blenny in there. just like u guys said. should i keep doing that ontill my sp is 1.009?
thanks
nate

sleasia

Yes...keep dilluting the tank water with r/o corrected for ph and alkalinity until you get to 1.009. bring it down slowly over a period of at least 48 hours....once down you may also need to continue doing water changes to combat the potential of cycling, and if you find you do need to do this you need to try and keep the salinity at 1.009 during all the water changing.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by sleasia
Yes...keep dilluting the tank water with r/o corrected for ph and alkalinity until you get to 1.009. bring it down slowly over a period of at least 48 hours....once down you may also need to continue doing water changes to combat the potential of cycling, and if you find you do need to do this you need to try and keep the salinity at 1.009 during all the water changing.
Yep, I agree with everything said here. A refracotmter would greatly help you maintain accurate SG readings.