help with lighting for lps

kopczynski

I was wondering which of the fallowing lights would be best for 1 RBTA 1 candy cane 1 trumpet some zoas and some mushrooms. Either coralife t8 50/50 or t8 actinic or t8 natural daylight, what ever would work best. If none will work what is a cheap lighting solution that could work? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczynski http:///t/397614/help-with-lighting-for-lps#post_3544550
I was wondering which of the fallowing lights would be best for 1 RBTA 1 candy cane 1 trumpet 1 acan brain 1 pinwheel plate. Either coralife t8 50/50 or t8 actinic or t8 natural daylight, what ever would work best. If none will work what is a cheap lighting solution that could work? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Do yourself a HUGE favor and stay away from anything Coralife. As long as the tank isn't too deep, T8 natural daylight with actinic I think is better then 50/50 bulbs... Just select a different brand of light system.

kopczynski

Do you have any suggestions for bulbs because i have 2 marineland fixtures with marineland natural daylight F15 t8 bulbs now and i don't think they will work.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczynski http:///t/397614/help-with-lighting-for-lps#post_3544711
Do you have any suggestions for bulbs because i have 2 marineland fixtures with marineland natural daylight F15 t8 bulbs now and i don't think they will work.

Hi,

Your only choice if you want a light hungry anemone is to upgrade the lighting system...it isn't the bulbs, it's the full output capability of the light itself. 10000K of Metal Halide is very different then 10000K of light put out by a T5 bulb.

That being said, LPS corals do not need the heavy duty
bright lights, they like it but they can survive...not like an anemone, your lights should be fine. You should have actinic as well. Put LPS corals near the top and the less light needy corals lower.

kopczynski

If I wanted to mix 1 sps into the mix would the t5 work better? And after reading and researching I won't do the anemone.

kopczynski

Another question, what is the best way to dose Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements?

bang guy

That's not a straight forward question as every tank has different needs and what is convenient or affordable for you may not be for someone else.

My opinion based on the word "Best" would be a combination Lime reactor and Calcium reactor using reef bones as material.

The rule of thumb still holds true though - Do not dose anything you don't test for.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczynski http:///t/397614/help-with-lighting-for-lps#post_3544836
If I wanted to mix 1 sps into the mix would the t5 work better? And after reading and researching I won't do the anemone.

Hi,

Some SPS corals are non-photosynthetic, and others are very light hungry. You will have to do some homework to find out what ones will do well in your tank. It isn't just a matter of light either, Pagoda cup coral for example needs cold water.

This book is very helpful: Click on the image to make it larger

Example page so you can see the info it offers, it even has helpful info on placement in the tank

flower

Hi,

I have been talking to Bang Guy, my book has some low light corals, and the non-photosynthetic sun coral listed under "HARD CORALS" I just assumed that meant SPS, he says he has never seen low light SPS and that's why he asked. So it looks like SPS corals are all light hungry and you need really strong lighting to keep them. I mean strong like anemone light needs.

There are some really beautiful non-photosynthetic corals and all brightly colored, the soft corals have a more fleshy appearance. So it isn't like you can't have some beautiful colors, but SPS seems to be out unless you upgrade your lighting system. Sorry to have misled you. That's one reason why I love this site, if we drop the ball somebody is right there to help us get the facts straight.

kopczynski

No problem i keep changing my mind so now I'm thinking about just keeping 3 Stylophora pistillata and a RBTA with a new lighting system. I'm looking at Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 4-Lunar Aquarium Light, 48-Inch.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczynski http:///t/397614/help-with-lighting-for-lps#post_3544954
No problem i keep changing my mind so now I'm thinking about just keeping 3 Stylophora pistillata and a RBTA with a new lighting system. I'm looking at Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 4-Lunar Aquarium Light, 48-Inch.

Hi,

Sorry but no light hungry SPS coral can live under those T5s, they just are not strong enough. You will have to go with Metal Halide or LEDs. Think of the light hungry anemone...if an anemone can live under those lights the SPS can...T5s won't do... I have the 48 inch T5s aquatic life, 4-10K bulbs and 4-actinic, I even tried to put 2- actinic and the rest 10K....that's why I know the anemone can't live under it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczynski http:///t/397614/help-with-lighting-for-lps#post_3544978
Do you have any suggestions for leds that would be around 200 dollars or less.

Hi...

Well that's the problem, the super lights cost money. It's the most expensive piece of equipment for a reef. LED lighting is the newest rage, and cost more then Metal Halides. You can build your own, and that would be cheaper...not under $200.00, but cheaper.

You should look into the DIY section, and get some pointers from the master builders on the site, and save up your cash for what you want. It's cheaper in the long run to save up and get what you want off the bat then to try and upgrade.

If you are set on those light hungry corals....for now just get a cheap T5 from Aquatic life for around $119.00, and not go with the light hungry corals until you can afford to do a major light upgrade. Stay away from mushroom coral, I was told years ago that SPS corals don't get along with them and once in the tank they spread. Since those are the corals that do well under low light, I wanted to give you a heads up so you don't load your tank up with them, and not be able to keep SPS later.

kopczynski

Yeah I'll stay away from mushrooms i will probably end up doing some zoas and the stylophara pistillata with the anemone with some form of led. Thanks for all the help.