help with lighting

cmbarnes10

I was thinking about making my tank a reef tank and the lfs was talking about lighting and prices in which I understood nothing they said. I know I heard purple lighting and that the one with the purple light was the best....and it is $200.00 for a 20 gallon tank???? What should I look for in lighting????HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:
Oh and what else goes into having coral??? Do I need to add anything to the water or feed them anything???

seannmelly

Lighting depends all on what kind of corals you want to keep. I don't believe there is such a thing as "purple" lighting. If you went with power compacts, you would have day light bulbs(which are white) and actinic bulbs(which are blue)

cmbarnes10

Originally Posted by seannmelly
Lighting depends all on what kind of corals you want to keep. I don't believe there is such a thing as "purple" lighting. If you went with power compacts, you would have day light bulbs(which are white) and actinic bulbs(which are blue)
Okay so I am VERY new at this....what does that all mean???
I have false perculas and I just want something they can rub on...

120reefer

Originally Posted by seannmelly
I don't believe there is such a thing as "purple" lighting.
Actually, the higher up the light spectrum you go, the more "purple" the color. GENERALY speaking, with metal halides, 6500k bulbs have a yellow effect, 10k have a white, 12-14k have a blue-white to blue effect, and 18k-20k have a purple blue effect. I saw a real nice diagram on here a while ago that showed visible light with kelvin rating next to it.... was a real nice one but i can't seem to find it now..

seannmelly

Originally Posted by 120reefer
Actually, the higher up the light spectrum you go, the more "purple" the color. GENERALY speaking, with metal halides, 6500k bulbs have a yellow effect, 10k have a white, 12-14k have a blue-white to blue effect, and 18k-20k have a purple blue effect. I saw a real nice diagram on here a while ago that showed visible light with kelvin rating next to it.... was a real nice one but i can't seem to find it now..
See, you learn new things everyday!! I though the higher "k" the more bluer it got. Thanks!!
If you just want something for your clowns to rub in(host) you should get an anenome and I am sure someone with more experience with anenomes than I have will chime in and help you better!! It is better to have a clown host an anenome then a coral because a clown can severly damage a coral when it tries to host it