Help with Mushrooms

jmestayer1

Today I noticed that my mushrooms looked really bad, all shriveled up with white stringy things coming out. My ammonia was a little high, but I have done water changes. My salinity is a little low at 1.023, working on this also, but could this be the cause of the mushrooms poor health???????

dmjordan

was this pic taken right after the light was turned on? the white stringy things is a slime or mucus of sorts that corals release when stressed.

jmestayer1

Ammonia was 1.5, I am testing again right now, have to wait 20 min. and my tank has cycled, it is 4 months old. I was also reading that they should be placed on the bottom first????? I didn't do that, would that help?

dmjordan

placing them on the bottom isn't going to matter since you don't have upgraded lights. you might want to consider doing a water change and add some amquel plus to make the ammonia less toxic. you still need to find out the source of the ammonia though.

jmestayer1

Where can I get that? Also, could they possibly need more light, I can move them to a friends tank for now, we are working on getting a 24 aquapod with 150 lights soon.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Jmestayer1
Ammonia was 1.5, I am testing again right now, have to wait 20 min. and my tank has cycled, it is 4 months old. I was also reading that they should be placed on the bottom first????? I didn't do that, would that help?
Good heavens, that's not a little high, that's toxic! At 1ppm ammonia begins to even kill your bacteria. How did it get so high?
All corals, even easy ones like shrooms, need stability.

jmestayer1

I am still trying to figure that out, I am thinking it is from overfeeding, I purchased new sun coral that I was feeding everyday, I have cut back to every other day and I also had a snail decompose(not sure that would make a difference). I have been doing water changes, and I am waiting for my most recent test to be finished. I will most likely do another a water change tomorrow, I have the water getting ready right now.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Jmestayer1
Ammonia is back at 0!!!!!!!!!!! SO that's great, but what could be causing the mushrooms to do this?
The ammonia.