Help with my reef ready tank

batmen09

Hi,
I just bought a new 75 gallon reef ready tank.This is my first salt tank(fresh 15 years).I have a question.....There is a built in tank overflow(I think its an overflow to the wet/dry sump).Its 4 inches square and the height of my tank.it has a hole to the sump.Finally my question......On the top of this overflow there is a plastic mesh screen,I assume this is where the water flows to the wet/dry sump.The is also a mesh screen on the bottom of this overflow,What keeps my deep sandbed from getting sucked down into the sump.Thanks for the help!!!! bm

leigh

I'm not exactly sure I understand the problem. But, the sand will all settle to the bottom of the tank. The built in overflow has plexiglass that goes to the bottom of the tank, so no sand should be in the 4 in square area that is the overflow. The mesh is there to keep fishies out. Does that help? Otherwise, perhaps if you doodle a picture that'd help make things make more sense...

batmen09

leigh,
The plexiglass does not go all the way down.On the bottom on one side the is also a mesh screen.(to keep the fish out).It seems like it would also suck the sand out?
DvSkin,
Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks
Ps....Anyone else please feel free to chime in! Thanks bm