Help with pump decision and ?'s

wrassie86

Ok so i have a 125g and i want most of my flow from a external pump devided into 2 lines from a SCWD WaveMaker.ok now the SCWD is only rated to 1400 gph.So if i bought a pump rated for 1400 gph would this be enough flow through the tank and not to powerful. i just dont want to spend the money and find out the pump is to small
Now my thoughts on pumps were the
Quiet one pumps 6000 1506gph
little giant quarium series 1225 gph
mag drive 1800 gph
Now the little giant is the only fully external pump i listed as far as these go how loud are they?or others of this type iwake-ect
let me know what you guys think i just dont want to make a few hundred dollar mistake.

stieger

Hey,
I had a Mag Drive 950 on a 100G and it was "plenty" powerful.
You need to take into account the amount of "head" the pump needs to push - is it 4 ft, 5 ft, etc.
I think the Mag Drive is terrific - quiet and quite powerful.
I actually just asked a similar question about the Mag 1200 vs. Quiet One 6000 - I found a site that sells the quiet one fairly reasonably, and want to ascertain if they are better - longer warranty, etc., than the Mag.
If you don't get another response, you can't go wrong with the Mag Drive - the one I had was excellent, and I know alot of people use them for a variety of purposes.

golfish

I'd look at the Sequence or Amp Master pumps. Might as well do it right and go external, also get a pump that can move more water. You can always slow it down with a Gateball valve. The good thing about these pumps is they use less electricity.

wrassie86

thanks for the replies.I wound up going with a rainbow lifegard quite one. 1140 gph extenal.got a hell of deal new on it.i should have it tommorow.i will hook this to the $40 wave maker and should be good.since the sump im building will flow alot also.that is where thr quite one 6000 will come in.so i figure i should be flowing about 1600gph.:joy: