Help with QT tank

dana&pj

I am going to set up a small (5 or 10 gal) QT tank this week. I intend for it to be FOWLR
I am going to get a Hang on back filter. (I am not sure what kind and suggestions would be appreciated)
My question is: If I opperate the filter on my established 100 gal reef for a day or so first use rock from my own tank or the LFS and sand from my tank and from one of those live sand bags from the LFS (about half and half), and water from my tank. Will I still have a cycle? Will it be shorter?
I have a sick hippo tang and I don't want to loose him, I am going to fressh water dip him and return him to the QT tank instead of my reef - which gets devastated when I have to chase him around to get him out. ( Yes, I have been through this drill before) That way if he gets sick again I have him in a smaller space.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this little adventure would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dana

dana&pj

I would imagine that nobody has any "for sure" answers on this one, but any thoughts are welcom and appreciated.

J

jackie dh

I would make it a bigger tank if you can, no way a 5 gallon would work and even a 10 is much to small. Try to get at least a 20. Mine is a 30, but that was what I had laying around empty, I didn't go out and buy it just for a QT.
Good luck with your blue tang.