help with yellow tang

tangaroo

I HAVE A 130 GAL AND A YELLOW TANG THAT SEEMS TO BE HAVING SOME PROBLEM. IT LOOKS LIKE ITS BLEEDING INSIDE. HAS RED LINES ON ITS TOP FIN & TAIL. THE LFS SAID IT MIGHT BE STRESSED SO WE PUT SOME (KORDON AQUARIMUM NOVAQUA CONDITIONER & FISH PROTECTOR) IN THE WATER AND IT HASNT HELPED.
ITS SWIMMING FINE EATING FINE EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING IS GOING ON. ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? ALSO IN THE TANK ARE 1 HUMMA, 1 BLUE DANSEL, 2 BI COLORED ANGELS, 2 CHROMIS, AND 2 CATFISH.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU.
:eek:
:confused:

well it is almost like a rash, from a lack of algae in its diet, i think thats what it is, try feeding him seaweed selects and if you already are, soak them in marine zoe, it is vitamins for fish that help them and protect them from parasites. i am not possitive if that is why it looks like it is bleeding inside, but the new diet wouldnt hurt.

tangaroo

THANK YOU FOR THE PROMPT REPLY. IS SEAWEED SELECTS A COMMON BRAND FISH FOOD? PARDON THE STUPID QUESTIONS BUT I AM NEW AT THIS AND WOULD RATHER GIVE SOMEONE SOMETHING TO LAUGH ABOUT THAN GET THE WRONG STUFF. I WILL CHECK OUT THE FISH STORE TOMORROW. THANK YOU.

charmin_fatcat

You may want to post this in disease and treatment to see if you get any more replies, or do a search. How are your water conditions? It sounds like it may be a parasite, but I have only had experience with ich with my tangs=( If it is a parasite, you will have to treat with antibiotics in a hospital tank, so I hope that you have one set up! Zoe is a good vitamin to prevent with, I soak food in Zoe and garlic a few times a week, just as an added preventive measure. Hopefully someone with more experience with tangs and red streaks will respond to your question, as I have limited knowledge with this, just giving you the 2 cents that I have. My yellow tang just died a couple weeks ago, and they are beautiful fish, but I don't think I will get another one anytime soon.
Good luck! :D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, Tangaroo, and Welcome :cool: to Saltwaterfish.com!
Unfortunately, yellow tangs seem to have this problem more freequently---or, perhaps due to their solid light yellow color, this problem is more notable on them. This usually spells trouble in the form of a bacterial infection. When I had a yellow tank and saw this coming, I usually did a light antibotic treatment with Saltwater Maracyn or Maracyn 2 [which is vit fortified] and it would usually clear up.
Since your tang is still eating, see if you can get a high grade flake food that is medication fortified.
Seaweed Selects is dried algae and comes in several varieties. Tangs are mostly vegetarian and need a lot of algae and vegetarian foods--much more than they need meat-based foods. They are also grazing fish, and need to be grazing around the tank looking for food much of the time. As SeaWeed Selects comes in sheets, you can use a lettuce or seaweed clip to leave this food in the tank for tang grazing.
A vitmin supplement that is good for tangs is Zoecon, particually since tangs are prone to Head and Laterial Line Erosion. Zoecon has Omega 3 fatty acids which is an excellent immune booster. You might also try to feed your fish a bit of garlic soaked food while it has these red spots, as garlic also is a good immune booster.
Tang, just to let you know, it would be easier to read your posts if you didn't capitalize all your words! Also, we have a Disease Forum on this BB. If you have more questions about diseases or sick fish, you might want to post there.
Good Luck!
[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

tangaroo

Thanks for the advice. I will go and get the above you mentioned. My water levels are fine I dont have a hospital tank so I will treat the 130 gal. We have been soaking the frozen brine in liquid garlic with every feeding. they have lettuce everyday and even our huma eats it. Your all so helpful. As when we went to the lfs store their only there to sell products and you have to wonder how much experience they have. so the knowledge here on this site is valuable to those of us who are learning.
Thank you very much.
;)