help!!!!

metmike

hey guys and gals
i need some help if at all possible.i have a 55 gal reef and i have a 5.5 gal sump and i have a overflow .the prob i am having is that my sump keeps going dry and i can not keep water in it for more than 3 or4 days .the over flow i bought did not have and slits cut in the front or the sides for the water to flow trough so i took my dremal and cut some slits in it and it seemed to work great for like 3 days then the sump went dry.i am realy getting tired of this ---- my pump keeps getting louder and louder every time the sump goes dry if any one has any suggestions i would be very greatfull cause this is getting real old thanks every one
metmike

fishman77

wait do you know what top off is?it is normal for water to evaporate from the sump everyday and everyday you should be filling it with freashwater(it doesnt have to be salt)do not let the sump go down to far because your tank could overflow.always keep water up to top off line!:D

metmike

it just seems a little fast to be going all the way dry thats all i guess i will have to just ass water everyday
thanks for the help
metmike

judyk

I add a gallon to a gallon and a half of RO to my sumps everyday. I lose the most in the winter. If you don't have a water line on your sump, mark one and see how much you lose daily.

ophiura

Metmike - how did you originally set up the system? Did you have everything off, then add water until the water level was within about an inch or two from the top of the wet dry? Then turn on the pump and mark the water level. This would be the water level you want to keep...any higher and the sump will overflow should the powes go out. Just checking on that...some people don't do that and it helps a bit. But I add water at least every other day in my 45...and it could probably go with every day easily.

judyk

Jetjock - I make up a bunch of jugs of water and have someone check the tanks. I have dogs and cats so someone has to come a couple times a day anyway. There are alot of people here that have automatic topoffs. You could do a search.

jetjock

Originally posted by JudyK
Jetjock - I make up a bunch of jugs of water and have someone check the tanks. I have dogs and cats so someone has to come a couple times a day anyway. There are alot of people here that have automatic topoffs. You could do a search.

Thanks, I will look into that.

T

thomas712

Just want to add to check your salinity as well, with that much water dissapering to evaporation then the salinity should still be ok when you do the top off.
Check for Temp as well, the warmer it gets the more evaporation there will be.
Check for salt creep anywhere around the tank.