Help!!!

teviesfish

Mandarin , the tank has been up for 5 months...we are using rodi water. we do water changed frequently and all of our levels are in perfect range. i have a power head rio 1600 i think. protein skimmer. But this tank is not the 75 gal. it is the smaller one we have that is 45 gal. The 75 we are just getting ready to set up. We have that with the flow. The water comes across and hits the front and goes to the right side. yes i am a daycare provider. And we love to watch the kids. We ordered some moon lights last night so will put them on when we get those. The kids dont feed the fish. I am the only one that feeds them. Or hubby will but asks first to be sure we are not doubleing up. filter system is a 280 empioror. Thanks!

merredeth

Originally Posted by teviesfish
my lights are on for a long time 8 am - 10 pm at night so i should cut that down. phoshates i have no clue... hubby got me the amonia test strips and the nitrate nitrite hardness alkalinity ph test strips. None for phos.
Burn the test strips and get some Salifert, Hagen or even Tetratech kits. Anything but test strips. They are very unreliable.
I see you bought a flame for the tank. Love them!
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by teviesfish
Reefer... thanks and i will definatly turn the lights down .. problem is... I WORK AT HOME!! AND.... I DO DAYCARE!! giggles... so we just so love watching the fish and so do the kids that its so hard to look over and see the light off. :) but we will try our best to do so more and keep the time down. I am going to order some stuff here tonight and the liquid testing will be one of them. Need to use up these test strips in the mean time. Wont take long .. there are only thirty strips. thanks for the info
Maybe you could use watching the fish as a reward of sorts for the kids. Turn them on at 12:00 or 1:00 and if they behave they can help feed the fish.
Also, if you tell the kids the fish have to sleep, you might get them to create less of a ruckus when you want peace and quiet.
This works for my grandkids when they come over.
Denise M.