help

ibew

I have a ton of micro bubbles coming from the overflow into the sump how can I control them

ibew

there is baffles 3 the problem is from my overflow going down into the fuge (which there is a baffle there) its creating a large amount of bubbles I dont know if I can add a sponge into the chamber going to the pump if that would slow down the micro bubbles right now that chamber is empty so is the next one were the pump would be because I plumbled my pump in-line

ibew

the pump is a mag 7 the head is about 4 foot the overflow is rated at 600 gph the main tank is 55 gal sump is 20 10 12 the flex pipe coming from overflow is 1-1/4 but the pipe is alittle flat if that has anything to do with that there is serious bubbles through out the fuge because of the overflow which is going up to the main tank

reefnut

That's a nice sump!! A sock would help but I wouldn't filter the water before it enters the fuge. How long has it been set up??

ibew

thank you just plumbed it in today I do have a ball valve on the return and even if I throttle it back doesn't help the bubble problem so you think a sock will help and do you recommend anything in the chamber that has nothing to stop the bubbles like a sponge of some sort also in the sock what should I put in it

ibew

anybody with some other suggestion will be helpful stuck in a jam and can't seem to fix it

maxalmon

Use the foam block for an Aquaclear 110 filter. It's about 3.5"sq and maybe 11" long. If you use a bread knife you can slice it down the middle, making a cut about 1" deep lenth wise. You can then just push this foam block down ontop of the wall before your pump. Or you can just set the foam block down on top of the pump
A= On top of the wall, this works most of the time, depends on water level, if water level is low it can cause bubbles to drip down
B= This is another option, just cut the block in half and carve out a hole for the tubing

reefnut

I know this is going to sound strange but try lowering your water level a bit. If you can get away from filtering the water before the refuge it would be better. Lowering the water level may make the bubbles surface before entering the refuge.

zman1

ReefNut - off topic - I see you changed your ID to Tang Yellow? Did you give up on moderating? I hate to see that........

ibew

thanks for all the help I got a foam block for an aquaclear 110 that helped also I got a sock for the overflow pipe that also helped but the main problem was my pipe coming from the overflow it was being restricted do to the pipe being flat went to lowes and replaced it with a flex pipe and seams to made a big difference

ibew

Originally Posted by ReefNut
I know this is going to sound strange but try lowering your water level a bit. If you can get away from filtering the water before the refuge it would be better. Lowering the water level may make the bubbles surface before entering the refuge.
I tried to lower the water volumn in the sump and I had the same results but was a good idea and did make sense the way the baffles are

rbaldino

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Use the foam block for an Aquaclear 110 filter. It's about 3.5"sq and maybe 11" long. If you use a bread knife you can slice it down the middle, making a cut about 1" deep lenth wise. You can then just push this foam block down ontop of the wall before your pump. Or you can just set the foam block down on top of the pump
A= On top of the wall, this works most of the time, depends on water level, if water level is low it can cause bubbles to drip down
B= This is another option, just cut the block in half and carve out a hole for the tubing
The foam block should work well. I used a similar setup for a while and never had any bubble problems.

ibew

I have got the micro bubbles down to alittle bit but theres still some in there should I try to cut a piece of the foam block and carve a hole in it to put the pipe from overflow into or is there anything else