Help!!!!

brian1975

I have a 29gal biocube. has been set up and running for about a year now. everything was going fine till the first of the year. for the last 4 to 6 weeks i have had a huge breakout of alge and red slime. i have tried everything that i know of to get it under controll, but nothing has worked. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it under controll?

turningtim

What has changed? Are you getting water from a different source? Change salt. Have you tested you top off/WC water?
Reduce light period, reduce food and add flow.

brian1975

nothing really has changed. only thing that i have changed is instead of useing distilled water by the gallon for water changes i have been useing my tap water which is on a well.
how would you create more flow with a biocube system?

turningtim

Originally Posted by Brian1975
http:///forum/post/2953448
nothing really has changed. only thing that i have changed is instead of useing distilled water by the gallon for water changes i have been useing my tap water which is on a well.
Well that is a BIG change. Well water has metals in it along with phosphate etc. Could be some copper, iron or some other funky thing. I have well water my TDS after house filtering and water softener is about 140. After my RO/DI its 3.
I bet here in lies your problem.
Go back to using RO water and I bet things will clear up. Remember its takes no time to mess up these tanks but could take a while to get it back.....

oceansidefish

I agree I think that an RODI would be great in your situation. You can also add a Koralia nano in there. how old are your lights???

gmann1139

Originally Posted by Brian1975
http:///forum/post/2953448
I wouldn't worry about flow until you get that water checked.
See if your LFS can test your water for phosphates.

brian1975

what is RODI? i am new to slatwater so dont know what some things stand for. dont know how old lights are i can only assume that they are original and i bought the tank used.

gmann1139

RO/DI is Reverse Osmosis / DeIonized Water.
Its water that's been mechanically filtered to an extremely high level.
Its usually available at your LFS, and some have luck getting it from the Culligan machines at Wal-Mart.