help

socal57che

I am looking for some input. My wife and I are considering starting a nonprofit organization to help low income families afford a better place to live. We are looking for options on what to call it.
Right now, we are leaning toward H.O.M.E. (Housing Opportunities Made Easy) and would appreciate your opinion and options you might offer on using a different name.
Thanks, guys.

yearofthenick

I have discussed this same exact idea to my wife and we already have a few other families interested in helping out! Let me know how you do it, maybe we can be your NorCal counterpart!
We haven't thought of any names, but we did think that a subsequent task of our non profit would include "family dinners" where we would invite 40-50 people over and feed them for free. We want to focus on community as well and these dinners will help us do that. Chances are pretty good that families who are in financial turmoil need some community in their lives.

flower

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/3277889
I have discussed this same exact idea to my wife and we already have a few other families interested in helping out! Let me know how you do it, maybe we can be your NorCal counterpart!
We haven't thought of any names, but we did think that a subsequent task of our non profit would include "family dinners" where we would invite 40-50 people over and feed them for free. We want to focus on community as well and these dinners will help us do that. Chances are pretty good that families who are in financial turmoil need some community in their lives.

The pair of you have made my day, what a wonderful world I live in with folks like you around...I think H.O.M.E. is a great idea for a name, and Blessings to both of you to get it off the ground!
Shabbot Shalom!

jackri

I'm just curious how the concept would work (the helping someone out vs. enabling someone side of me is curious).
I do like the idea of people helping people rather than the gov't stealing it from one group of people and handing it out however they want.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3277905
I'm just curious how the concept would work (the helping someone out vs. enabling someone side of me is curious).
I do like the idea of people helping people rather than the gov't stealing it from one group of people and handing it out however they want.
Keep it small and use judgement...

dragonzim

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3277888
I am looking for some input. My wife and I are considering starting a nonprofit organization to help low income families afford a better place to live. We are looking for options on what to call it.
Right now, we are leaning toward H.O.M.E. (Housing Opportunities Made Easy) and would appreciate your opinion and options you might offer on using a different name.
Thanks, guys.

Not sure if it would affect you, but that name is kinda taken already
http://www.vchome.org/
http://housingoptions.us/

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3277905
Well, not sure about SoCal, but we had discussed implementing a program specifically for people who have fallen on hard times. Pretty much everyone who has had a forclosure or a reposession of some kind will not be able to get accepted for a m-o-r-t-g-a-g-e anytime soon, so "buying" a home isn't an option. We had discussed building an apartment complex and renting out the rooms to people who would otherwise be homeless. Rental payments would be negotiable, but because it's a non-profit, we can't really charge them anything that would mean profit for us.
I'm not saying that we'd look for people on the streets or anything... but we would look for hard working parents with children who are at the end of their financial rope. I have a friend at my church who needs a program exactly like this. He is married with two kids, one in high school, and is very hard working, desperate for a job, motivated to keep his family afloat.
We would have an application process where these families would fill out paperwork explaining their situation. If the application is accepted, they would move into our complex at a monthly rate that we determine on a 6-12 month lease. During that time, our non-profit will help the family find work, help provide food for them, and meet with them regularly to see how they're doing. When the lease expires, we'd re-evaluate their situation if they're at a point where they can support themselves again, they'd move out and we'd consider it a success. If we do not see any progress or any motivation to work, and the family just wants to sit and live off the organization, their lease will not be renewed and they will be asked to leave. If the family is still very motivated to find work and still actively on the search, but NOT able to move out yet, we will renew their lease and extend it another 6-12 months.
I don't mean to boast, but I consider myself to have a pretty good judge of character, and I am thankful to say that the people I am good friends with who want to start this non-profit with me have similar intuition. The people targeted for this kind of non-profit would become a part of OUR community as well. My family would live on-site and so would a couple of other families. Their sole job would be to invest in restoring the needy families, whether by cooking, ministering, counseling, etc. We all have different abilities and skills, and it could shape up to be an excellent venture.

yearofthenick

Our organization would be called "The Restored Life" because that's ultimately our goal... to restore the lives of those fallen on hard times.
There are so many shelters out there, and other non-profits who seek to help those who are already homeless, but I don't know of very many organizations who seek to KEEP people from BECOMING homeless... at the very least, not in my area. That's what I'm motivated to do - keep people from ending up homeless. Especially families.

reefraff

Encouraging home ownership is a good thing BUT as the government just found out enabling people can have disastrous results.
Your deal sounds like a winner Nick. There is some group that takes in donated business appearance and gives it to homeless people and trains them in the interview process to help them get a job. Thinking outside the box much like you are.
Good luck to you both.

socal57che

As part of the process, we would like to offer discounted or free counseling on jobs, money management, credit, addictions, family life and things that improve quality of life...more of a life change than simply giving someone a free home. We would like to help them to help themselves and instill a sense of ambition that doesn't happen when you simply hand over keys to a new home. We would be setting the organization up in Independence, Missouri. We would like to team up with other organizations, like The Salvation Army.
Nick, my wife is entertaining the idea of setting up a partnership with you in northern Ca. She is usually in your area once a month. If she is able to get the ball rolling, would you want to meet with her when she comes up? She was just there last week. lol
Thanks for the input, guys. Please keep it going.

socalswife

All of this is just in the beginning stages. Here is the idea, we have 4 empty lots in Independence MO that can have duplexes built on them. We thought that we could help families if we could do something with the land. There are a lot of good families out there that are losing their homes and have no place for their kids to sleep. When a child grows up in an environment like this they have a better chance of continuing the pattern and even getting themselves into a worse situation. To help break this cycle and improve the future for the youth of today, we would like to get these families back into a home where the kids have a room of their own and a yard to play in. If we can help these families get back on their feet then we will also help the future generation. We would like to expand this idea to other cities. These homes would only be offered until the families get back on their feet. We would also offer resume training and team up with other agencies to offer employment assistance and education completion. This would be a group effort where we would manage the upkeep of the homes and the organization of the self-help programs.

meowzer

HI SOCALS WIFE.....this sounds like a great idea.....I wish I had something to offer you in a way of a suggestion....
I just wish you luck, and praise you for your selfless thoughts

socal57che

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3278121
HI SOCALS WIFE.....this sounds like a great idea.....I wish I had something to offer you in a way of a suggestion....
I just wish you luck, and praise you for your selfless thoughts

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/3278164
That is a beautiful thing you guys are doing.Praying for many many blessings to come to you and through you.
Thanks, but this is not entirely selfless. We will also benefit from having aid in upkeep on property that has become a burden in tough financial times. We asked for God's blessing in this so that He might be glorified. If this comes together, it will be because of Him, not us.
Originally Posted by socal57che

http:///forum/post/3278106
We would also like to offer HELP.
Healing and
Enabling
Lives and
People
A fb friend suggested that we change Enabling to Empowering, so I will show that change here, too.
Healing and
Empowering
Lives and
People