Help!

the 55 aquarist

Ok this isnt for me. My step-dad has a 180 gal. Well we moved thetank my my step dads house and kept about 140 gal of SW (excluding the crushed coral and rocks) but we ha to top the tank off with water. In the process of the moved we put a koran angel, a YT, and a horn shark in 2 coolers. The next mornin in the coolers th YT died. So when we got the tank setup and threw the shark in then 20 min later the koran. They lived through that with no disease.
Ok well a week later his 11 year old son "tested" the water and he said it was "fine". First we bought a wrasse w/o any problems. So then a week later my step-dad bought a juv. Emperor Angel. Ok no problems still. Then 3 days later we bought a tomato clown and a long-tentacle anemome. No probs. Finally a powder blue surgeon.
We thought the clown had a parasite or sumthing well 2 days later the tomato died. Ok now here's the prob the PBS has like a white film on his head and eyes. Any Idea? OK please reply do nto want to lose him, he's so cool. Any more info needed please reply.
PS sorry fo the long post

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Aquarist, the difference between keeping fish and preying upon fish is that in keeping fish you respect and value the life of these creatures that are taken from the ocean. You do all that you possibly can do to meet their need in the artificial environment that you create for them, knowing that it will never be like it was in the ocean, but with the goal to strive to provide that to whatever extent possible.
When you prey upon fish, as when you go fishing, then you store your fish in containers until you can eat them or get them home to the fridge...or, in the case of lobsters, you throw them in a tiny tank until somebody wants to buy one for dinner...you pretty much do what your dad did.
Marine aquarist need to live up to being exactly that: People who love the aquarium hobby, respect the creatures that they acquire and are dedicated to preserving the life in their tanks.
A tank that was just moved will go thru a cycle. The fish that are to be returned to that tank need to be housed in appropriate accommodations until the tank is cycled. And, the acquisition of new fish for this tank at this time is simply...well irresponsible!
Encourage your dad to get hobby books [let me recommend “The Conscientious Marine Aquarist” by Bob Fenner] so that he can learn these things, and, invite him to visit our board so that he can learn what it is to be a marine aquarist. If he won't, and you care about this hobby and your fish, then you do it and teach him.

Please don’t be upset with this post, but Trey is right. This kind of scenario is very upsetting, but, still, we are here waiting and willing to help. Everyone here is dedicated to preventing these types of experiences.
[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

the 55 aquarist

Ok no point to post this except for future experiences. Well THe Powder blue died two days after i posted that message. The flim was loose and a little came off of him when he scraped the rocks. He did give him a FW bath and threw him back in the tank 2 min later he flipped out hit the top of the tank and then commited suicide but ramming with head into the over flow box. Any Ideas?
Trey, what i meant to say is that his son tested it and everything was way wrong to even throw that shark in. But him being himself and not caring aout his dad's money told him to but all those fish. We moved it here so matt(dspikey2k)(his son) could take care of it. That was just a fad for him, when that PBS looked like it was going to died all he said was it'll be fine and walked away. So I wasn't upset about the fish just more about him how he treats those poor little fish. Anyway Sry about that post.
PS BTW Beth I have been reading books on saltwater tank months before i got the tank itself. And this BB has helped me out tons. I should buy him a SW book or two for his b-day. He says he's been doing this for years, but then when i go to buy a fish it dies on him(it's fine for me, and i have a 55 gal.) I