HELPP Loud Over flow

say

Can anyone tell me how to quiet a LOUD overflow box down? I have a problem with the overflow box being loud on the return side going to the hose to the filter itself. It sounds like it's girgilling (how ever you spell it)
We've tried adding water to it and tried taking water away (and it always ends up the same) but it sounds like a perkalator.
Any suggestions??? HELP!!

jobob

does the pipe have holes in it? i think thats the problem u can buy a new pvc pipe and fit in it there with out holes, thats what i have .

dmc888

Could try lowering your overflows intake box.
Or maybe the prefilter is dirty.
I noticed mine only makes noise when its not getting enough water intake.
Has it always made noise?

ophiura

Does it sound like it is flushing? Does the hose from your overflow box go straight down to the sump, or is there excess so that it kind of forms an s curve or something? Mine "flushed" for awhile but my husband "messed" with the hose underneath to adjust the flow of water and keep it constant. Definitely doesn't flush like it used to.

say

The pipe I have has slots on opposite sides to each other alternating going up and down the pipe. The pipe I have also is twice as tall as my water level. Should it be down in the water completely ?? I hope these pics can help you explain what I need to do to get this LOUD NOISE to stop.. Man we can't even hear the TV.

say

The downpipe to the filter does have a curve in it and is probably 4 foot to it... I may have to move my overflow to the otherside of the tank if that's the case on the flushing sound... (yep it does sound like a toilet)
Any other suggestions?

mwaraxa

I was having the same problem with my for awhile. Sometimes if i would stick my finger in the hole to break the flow of the water it would changed how the water was going into the hold and kinda seal it shut. But if the air bubble would pop at the mouth of the tube then it would get loud again on me. So for the most part it wasnt TOO succesful. What actually ended up working for me in the end was taking some foam (basically the same kinda stuff thats covering the pvc in your pre-filter) and cutting a piece off small enough that i could stick it down the center of the filter down far enough so that it was breaking the way that water was flowing but not small enough that it could actually fall down the hose. So try that. If it doesn't seem like it's working at first you have to jjust kidna play with it so that the piece you put into the middle of the sponge filter is breaking that flow just right. So you may have to kinda raise or lower the sponge (with the piece you've added in it) untill it starts to work right.
I think i even confused myself with that. hehe. Lemme know if i need to clarify on anything.
-peace out

say

Thanks so much!! I'll try that if taking the curve out doesn't work.
Anybody else have any suggestions???

dmc888

Is that a custom homemade overflow?
Most overflows i see have one pipe with a straight cut across. One short piece with a sponge around it.
If you do a search you will see how most overflows look.
Can you change the pipe out?
That might be the reason it makes noise. Because the hole is not large enough.

say

The overflow I have isn't homemade.. it's from sea clear. (it's an older model) it has a tall pipe that has several slots in it that rotate around the pipe as they go up the pipe. mine doesn't have a filter in it. what type should i get? would that be making the noise?

jobob

get a new pipe without slots in it. thats how to fix the problem. try tape around the pipe to block the holes if it stops thats the problem. then just go and buy a new pipe.

dmc888

If you can take it out and just bring it to the hardware store and get the same size pvc pipe.
Then just cut a new piece and try it out. Just need a small saw to cut it..

eel

i had the same problem,i put a valve on the pipe going to the sump,slowed it down just a touch so the water in the overflow box would rise so to cover the bulkhhead drain,did the trick nice and quite:D

ophiura

I don't know - I have a shorter pipe with an sponge prefilter, but still get that sound. So I don't think it is just the pipe per se.

shoogieboo

OK NOW I'M CONFUSED TOO..MINE SOUNDS LIKE A COFFEE MAKER AS WELL....AND THE LFS TOLD ME THAT THE SLIME NEEDS TO BUILD UP IN IT LIKE BREAK IT IN AND IT WILL STOP.... IS THIS TRUE? AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN SLOTS IN PIPE? AND YOU MEAN TO PUT THE SPONGE IN THE TUBE IN THE OVERFLOW BOX? WHERE THE WATER COMES DOWN INTO THE SUMP? I HAVE TWO HOSES COMING FROM MY OVERFLOW BUT ONLY ONE SEEMS TO BE ACTUALLY DRAINING....I'M ALSO HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY SKIMMER IT FILLS WITH WATER AND OVERFLOWS THE CUP....:help:

shoogieboo

mwaraxa i did that same thing just now i stuck my finger in the tube and it stopped that noise...i tried that sponge filter stuff and it just got sucked through...the water comes out plenty...to slow it down wouldn't be as effective right?

eel

you want to slow it down a very little bit.if you are using a soft pipe to your sump try clamping it a very little and you will see the water rise a little covering the return and you will here the quite difference.