Here comes the algae ....HELP!!!!!!!

saltymarine

Well I am having an algae outbreak. I have been doing regular water changes and have not added anything new to the tank and now all of a sudden green algae is appearing everywhere and some red as well. The little bit of green algae has turned into a lot and it isn't hair algae (at least not yet) what should I do to get rid of it? I just replaced all 3 of my VHO bulbs because the ones i got with the tank were 1.5 years old. I have 3 75 watt VHO 2 White Actinic and 1 Super Blue Actinic. I am running an Eheim 2222 canister filter with no media except the porcelain nugget things. I have two power heads 550 a protein skimmer, 25 lbs of LR and 40 LBS of sand. I don't have a real CUC yet because I am in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma and I am waiting for the LFS here to get some in. They suck by the way! My levels are
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 8.2
As I said I do a 20% water change weekly and now this is happening. I use RO water to do the water changes and everything in the tank seems to be doing well. What should I do? I will start by reducing the lights to about 6 hours per day instead of 10. Any advice will be helpful. Thank you!

just a nano

A few months ago, I was in the same situation you are - everything is fine except all the darn algae!
I was told to boost up my Clean Up Crew. My attitude was skeptical, but I tried it. It worked great. Hermits, snails and a couple emerald crabs. Took less time than I thought to have it under control.
One note: The emerald crabs eat a lot of algae, but they do tend to knock small rocks and corals around a bit. Kinda like a bull in a china shop.

nano-newb1983

Mexican Turbo snails... i had hair alge and once i added them they went to town and ALL alge was gone the next day or so.. Havent seen any since