Here is a good article for all you bleeding hearts... And people who think America/capitalism/ free markets suck...

stdreb27

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty
Abstract: For decades, the U.S. Census Bureau has reported that over 30 million Americans were living in “poverty,” but the bureau’s definition of poverty differs widely from that held by most Americans. In fact, other government surveys show that most of the persons whom the government defines as “in poverty” are not poor in any ordinary sense of the term. The overwhelming majority of the poor have air conditioning, cable TV, and a host of other modern amenities. They are well housed, have an adequate and reasonably steady supply of food, and have met their other basic needs, including medical care. Some poor Americans do experience significant hardships, including temporary food shortages or inadequate housing, but these individuals are a minority within the overall poverty population. Poverty remains an issue of serious social concern, but accurate information about that problem is essential in crafting wise public policy. Exaggeration and misinformation about poverty obscure the nature, extent, and causes of real material deprivation, thereby hampering the development of well-targeted, effective programs to reduce the problem.

reefraff

When there are statistics for percentage of people in "poverty" with cell phones, cable tv, Air Conditioning etc. I just shake my head.

monsinour

Drug dealers gotta have their connections. Since they deal drugs, they do not file a 1040 or have signed a w-2. This allows you to collect welfare and be in line to receive section 8 housing. Hell, there is a government program out there to allow the poor to have a cell phone.

reefraff

I grew up without AC, Cable TV, No telephone at times if cash was tight. It didn't kill us. Nobody NEEDS those things.

mantisman51

We never had a/c or cable and I didn't get my first Walkman until I was 16 and could afford to buy it on my own. We definitely lived in poverty, but we didn't get welfare or food stamps or anything like that. Of course we were small farmers, so we were too busy to notice what we didn't have. Entertainment was running down to the Snake River for some night catfishing after all the chores were done. I look back quite fondly on that time in my life. It would have been nice to have all the stuff the kids in school had, but we got by and had a lot of fun along with the hard work. I'm sure the urban poor kids could find constructive things to do the same way we did. I never dealt drugs or broke into someone's house or held up a quick stop. I guarantee I had less than the urban poor had, but I never wanted to lash out or commit crime because of it. Ghettos are filled with crime because too many people there support and tolerate it, not because of poverty.