Hermit crab

fish man

I have a 75 gallon fish aquarium and I had a hermit crab in there. He lived for probably a month. What do they eat and wonder what I did wrong as far as the hermit dying. The levels were all fine and my substrate is sand and fed frozen shrimp and regular flakes

promisetbg

Hermits generally eat algae from the rocks,and leftover food. Are you certain he died and did'nt just molt? The molt looks almost exactly like what you would imagine the crab looks like...minus the back portion.Keeping extra shells in the tank so the hermit can upgrade as he grows is important.It is also important to all inverts,that no copper or other medicine ever enters the tank.They do not do well if levels of amm,or nitrates..or even phosphates are high.Specific gravity needs to be stable...and is best if kept around 1.025. PH and Alkalinity of the tank is also important. Do you know your tank's parameters?

fish man

Yes all my levels were fine and he did not molt and also I had 3 other shells. I just don't understand

promisetbg

Were there any changes ? Other inverts or a fish that could have killed him? Do you hear any clicks in the tank at night?

J

jasondean

Somtimes they just die sorry thats what happened to me. 1 day I bought 2 large hermits 1 died about 2 weeks later and the other just keeps on truckin