hermit crabs ate our starfish??

ophiura

How long did you have the star?
Most of these guys starve to death in 9-12 months, or sooner in smaller tanks. They appear to be disintegrating. This could be mistaken for being attacked by another animal, but it is unlikely - unless, as mentioned, the star was sick. In that case, many animals will start feeding on it as they can "smell" it is sick. Considering the type of star (and unless you have big nasty non reef safe hermits) I would say that it most likely was dying from other causes. Unfortunately they fate of the majority, IMO, of sand sifter stars :( I don't recommend getting another.

ophiura

They weren't really "eaten"...they starved to death (most likely - especially with two in there - or died from another disease though this is rare) and scavengers took advantage of that. It is an important distinction to make. We keep hermits and such for this role to keep from having dying animals around. So in some ways the hermits did a favor.. I really strongly discourage getting any other sand sifters. Your story is very common :( So long as the brittlestar is kept fed and stays healthy (and you don't have mean non reef safe hermits), it should be fine.

ophiura

Just noticed you have a pretty new tank...in which case the stars died from acclimation shock. IMO, the tank is too young for most seastars (of any sort). Death often occurs within a month of introduction due to acclimation shock...or in young tanks because of water quality issues. And the hermits, I must emphasize, did NOT kill the stars but most likely ate dying stars.
I really discourage adding any more stars any time soon - they are very delicate as you've learned the hard way. The tank should really be at least 6 months old...and then only certain stars should be purchased. Some are for very mature large reef tanks.