hermit crabs vs. snails

sflasurfer

:help: I am confused my lfs told me the reason my snails kept disapearing is that my scarlett's were killing them for their shells, so i got rid of my scarletts and now i have detrtitis showing up, I noticed all saltwaterfish.com cleaner packages come with both snails and scarletts. Is this just something that I should consider a ongoing expense and i guess sacrifice the snails
and then replenish them please help ?????????????

garnet13aj

My lfs sold me both hermit crabs and snails when I asked about a clean-up crew. They added a few extra shells into the mix and said this would cut down on predation of the snails. It's only been 4 days but no snails have been killed yet. Maybe you could try smaller hermit crabs, mine are pretty small and that may be one of the reasons my snails are still alive. Even being small though, they do a lot to keep the tank clean.

who dey

i'm giving up on snails other than turbos. They seem to stay on the glass away from crabs. I've spent too much damn money on snails that either die from being stupid and can't flip over or getting their shells commandeered by crabs

bsd230

If you keep a little supply of empty shells in the tank, you shouldn't have a big problem with the crabs eating the snails. It helps to feed your crabs a little seaweed a couple times a week tie a piece to a rock with a rubberband, this should keep them well fed and reduce any attacks out of hunger.

frankthetank

yep, my snails get killed too. I bought them from here, and they sent me the biggest damn hermit crabs I've ever seen. I know they are killing my snails. My lfs has smaller hermit crabs. Oh well, I'll probably buy more turbos at some point.

renogaw

if you're near a beach, go grab a bunch of periwinkle snail shells. i'm sure you guys have them. if you have not actually seen a snail get killed by a hermit, i'd look into why your snails are dying. I have atleast 25 hermits and 30 snails, and have only had one hermit kill a snail. And i'm not sure if the snail was actually killed by the hermit, or if i just didn't acclimate it well enough.
what's your SG? how do you acclimate your snails?