hermit crabs

manners

should i be buying empty shells for the hermit crabs to move up 2. if so i have 15 crabs how many empty shells do i need?

skinless85

Yes you should get some extra shells and boil them before you put them into your tank. The shells should be slightly bigger than the ones you have now and some larger ones as well.

cjm3fl

I have found that it's a good idea to have several empty shells per hermit.
Depending on the hermit species, this can especially true if there are any snails in the tank.
Many hermits will spend the day eating...and looking for a new "home". Some hermit species will look for empty shells, while some will actively remove snails from their shells looking for their next "new digs". The Blue-legs that I've kept were notorious for killing snails for their shells.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by Skinless85
http:///forum/post/2931653
Yes you should get some extra shells and boil them before you put them into your tank. The shells should be slightly bigger than the ones you have now and some larger ones as well.
Why would you boil them ? If you buy them from a dealer or in a bag they will be fine. I'm not saying you are wrong to take this percossion but I am curious why you would take this step other than completely trying to kill off bacteria, algea or parasites.

vaughn

Why are the shells for sale on this site charged the live shipping fees. It seems to me that those fees would not apply. Does anyone know?