Hermit with Anemone

chichi

We got this hermit with anemone a couple months ago...he's great, really active, funny. We watched him change shells two times and pull his anemones off the old shell and stick them on the new one, it was incredible. So I really love this little guy, anyway, today I noticed his shell stuck between the LR and sand, anemones intact but otherwise no action. I pulled the shell back and it was empty, no hermit (his name is HurlyBurly). So, could he have molted and been hiding or something??? I can't see this happening because he would still stay in his shell?? Also, I see no molt or even pieces of him. Once he lost his claw and that laid at the bottom of the tank until recently. I'm distressed about this, he was the life of the party and now he's gone, but I'm clinging to hope that he may have some bizarre molting ritual or something.....any ideas???

Do you have any bad hitch hikers you know of like a mantis shrimp or something, but besides that he might be hiding somewhere

chichi

Update!!!
About an hour after I noticed the empty shell, I was sitting in front of the tank just staring, and out comes hurlyburly-without his shell (weirdest looking thing...his body just coiled up into this little ball) and he was looking for his shell, when he found it he crawled in and took of just like usual.
So I don't understand what happened, why would it leave its shell to begin with, it doesn't make sense.....so I was hoping someone knew something about these things to offer some insight. Maybe hurlyburly is a girl and laid eggs or something.

keri

He was molting and you pulled a prank on him!! Poor guy had to run out nekkid to get his clothes back lol!
I'm glad it turned out ok :)

chichi

I've never posted a pic but I'll try....I suppose I need to wait for him to reappear since he's still in hiding, I've seen him in the rock but he won't come out yet.